Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
Hiding extended attributes
System
Hey Everyone,
I am using TS 6.5 with SP2, and I am wondering if there is a way to hide certain extended attributes from the user.
i.e. lets say I am setting X and Y as two different extended attributes for files in my workflow. When the user clicks on properties for a file I just want him/her to see X and not Y.
Is this possible? if so, what's the best way to approach this?
Thanks,
Ido
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
Adam Stoller
I don't believe that TeamSite offers any kind of permissions concept with respect to extended attributes.
If you can detail the requirements sufficiently for a good use-case - do so and submit it to Support as a Feature Request (it won't happen too soon - unless your organization can throw a lot of weight [$$$] behind it - but it may help to get the ball rolling for a future release [probably post-6.7.1])
The only way I can think to do this is to put your metadata into the DCR - but that (a) only makes sense for DCRs not for other types of files that might have had extended attributes, and (b) may make other aspects of processing the file more complex / convoluted.
I suppose you could do something hackish like encode the particular EAs in some manner and then provide a custom menu item for showing properties that would figure out if the user has the rights to see the un-encoded data - and if so - unencodes it for them in the window - but that seems like an awful lot of work unless the requirement is "real" and not a petty aesthetic nit.
(can you explain the rationale for this?)
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
Migrateduser
In my application, some metadata is system generated in the form of extended attributes. I do not think that this kind of information should be displayed to the user, but it seems like implementing this will require much more work then the benefits this change will produce.
Thanks for the input.
Bill Klish
You could override the standard properties action link with your own properties action that displays only the information that you want. you would just add your code to the customer toolkit and have the properties links reference your code instead of Interwoven's. That way you would control what the user sees, incuding adding your own filters to prevent certain extended attribute fields from showing.
See the User Interface Customization Guide for more information.
jbonifaci
Another option that wouldn't be quite as clean, would be to create your own EA module that read and wrote hidden EAs to a database or some other back end. You'd probably want to make sure that you kept track of the EAs based on version as well, which might turn out to be a pain, but it's a solution that would keep this information hidden from the user.
Although, in my opinion, an end user really shouldn't be looking at the properties of a file. If they do, they can't expect what they see to be completely user friendly. I wouldn't spend the effort to try to hack a way to hide EAs, as it will likely be more trouble than it is worth.
~Jeff
ChangeDateFormatBasedOnParameter.rptdesign