Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
Sharing content across branches
System
I have been trying for the longest time to figure out how to share content across several branches. I wanted to use perl within my template to copy one dcr to another branch then generate the asp file. I do not have administrative privileges and need to enter loads of content and would really hate to enter the content in each branch. Can some body help me?
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
nipper
Define sharing
Do you want to use content (i.e. pictures) when you view and deploy ? Not too hard.
So you want to make changes from content on different branches ? Would those branches
ever need to merge ?
Do you want a one time copy ? or is this something that needs to happen consistantly
Migrateduser
I have a dcr in one branch that I would like to use to generate an asp file in another branch. I'm trying to eliminate entering content over and over again in different branches. Is there an easy way to accomplish this?
nipper
You can use iwpt_compile to generate the output.
It would require a multiple PTs in the source (where the DCR is located) and
then use STDOUT to redirect to the new branch. I am not certain if iwpt_compile -ofile
will go to a different branch, you can try that too.
Once that works, you could put it in a custom menu to make it easier to use.
HTH
Andy
Johnny
-ofile can go anywhere - iwpt_compile is not aware of any teamsite concepts (branches etc). It deals directly with OS file paths.
John Cuiuli
Adam Stoller
While you've already been provided some responses that explain how you can achieve what you're asking for - I'm a bit more curious about WHY you're asking for this functionality? and/or WHAT you are actually trying to accomplish?
As a stand-alone question, without the context - my first reaction would be that you either have a poor understanding of TeamSite or a poor branching structure design.
The context could eliminate one or the other of those two reactions and lead to potentially better or more detailed solutions than the information already suggested.
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
tonyarnold
Yes, I agree in part: Branching structure is a big issue here. We've come across the same problem recently - the consultants we hired to help us set-up TeamSite to start with recommended a very large and somewhat disparate branch structure (which made sense from a permissions point of view, but isn't helping our users reduce duplication of content) - being rather green at TeamSite development and administration, we've developed our solution around this structure, only to discover that lo and behold, our users do want to be able to re-use content from other branches that they do not have access to.
I'm thinking that the quickest, dirtiest solution would be to iwupdate the dcrs they want access to into all the branches as part of the submission/deployment process. I'd imagine you could be much smarter about it than this, but our site doesn't have time for a complete re-factoring of our branch structure before we go live (in around a month). I guess what I'm saying is, you're not alone in having backed yourself into a corner like this
TeamSite, thankfully, is flexible enough to allow you to beat your way out without a lot of effort.