Hi Techies--
Again, I apologize for intruduing--but I'm sure this crew has encountered this challenge--and has not doubt solved it!:-)
I've written a .NET webservice to export/check-in/check-out/search doc objects. So far so good. What another tech group needs a new method to do is:
1. Retrieve an Outlook email message currently stored as an *.msg type as a text stream.
2. If the type is not set to MIME, or text -- return the whole object.
For the first case, I approached the problem by doing the following:
1. search for the doc
2. export the doc to a shared location
3. open the doc as an io text stream.
4. pass the text stream back to calling client.
There are 2 concerns I have with what I've done so far. The first, there must be a better way to open the doc contents on the fly to extrapolate the content. I just don't know what it is. I don't want to display the file in a view for the user--I just want to extract the text and pass it on. The second, I'm passing what I've got--so sometimes it isn't straight text--- so, again--any suggestions on how best to extract/send only text without Microsoft extended characters, etc.
For the second case, I will need to encode the whole object. Any best practices pointers?
Any advice, comments, ideas, etc. will be greatly appreciated!:-)
Kind regards,
--Paula
Paula DiTallo - Middleware Architect/ .NET Developer
plditallo@metro-design-dev.com