Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
Multiple MediaBin Server services on same machine?
System
I have the impression that the answer is "no", but I'd like a confirmation.
We need to do some cost-cutting, and I've been asked to look at putting our DEV and QA MediaBin servers on the same server. Today our DEV and QA boxes are quad-processor, 4GB memory machines that are largely under-used, so it would not be a problem.
The thing is that, despite the fact that you can specify a port for the MB Server service, I have the impression that the installation process for MB Server does not support installing several servers on the same machine...
Can anyone confirm?
If this is the case we may want to try building virtual machines, but I have the sensation that there will be problems even in that case.
Folco Banfi
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
lyman
I will confirm it is a bad idea! I would suggest migrating the dev box to a cheap PC.
The problem is that MediaBin uses a large number of resources that would have to be sorted out so that the two instances did not interefere with each other.
Switching between instances as long as you can bring one down whil the other is up is a far more tractable problem (basically it involves some hand editing of registry settings). If timesharing of that sort is a possibiliity we can try to help.
Cheers,
Lyman
Phead2
How about using virtual PC/Server to run multiple OS instances on the same box? I done that without an issue...
lyman
I know we have at least one engineer here who does something similar for testing purposes. I have pinged him and will post to the forum any advice he has on how best to do this. I do not know of a good reason if performance is adequate why not.
Cheers,
Lyman Hurd
MB Server Team
lyman
Okay the aforementioned developer says there are no issues to add for using virtual machine.
Cheers,
Lyman