Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
creating editions and deploying content
ttriemst
Greetings all,
I have a request to create a workflow that will do the following 2 times a day (1st time around noon, 2nd time around 5:00 pm):
Create an edition
Deploy edition
I would like to have this done automatically without any user intervention. I have found in the documentation how to integrate OpenDeploy with Workflows, but does anyone have a workflow that creates an edition and deploy's automatically?
Thanks
TeamSite 6.5.0 SP2 on Solaris
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
Migrateduser
probably you need OD schd deployment in your external task. you might have the code inside your solution / example folder in WFT / OD.
ttriemst
I just want to make sure that I understand what you are suggesting.
Create a scheduled task in OpenDeploy (based on whatever parameters that I provide), that starts the process to create an edition and then do a deployment?
Migrateduser
Crrect but remember :
You can schedule a deployment to start automatically on a one-time basis or on a recurring basis in the New Schedule window
Recurring deployments can occur sub-hourly, hourly, daily, weekly, or monthly
Scheduled deployments can only be configured through the OpenDeploy user interface or by command line tools.
Adam Stoller
Based on your list of requirements - you don't need a workflow. You need a script that you run from cron - and a deployment configuration that the script will make use of through iwodcmd.
Cron will take care of the *when*
The script will take care of the *what*
If the branch in question is a single fixed entity - the script will be pretty trivial:
- run iwpublish on the branch to create a new edition
- run iwodcmd start with the deployment configuration, which should do a full comparison deployment between the latest edition and the target area.
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
ttriemst
I have been looking through the documentation in OpenDeploy and Workflows, and I have not found any samples on how to do this. Do you (or anyone else) know if there is a sample solution on how to do this or does this need to be coded?
ttriemst
Great, thanks for the idea!
I can use cron to do this, but If possible, I would like to use the tool to do the scheduling (working with our UNIX admins to setup stuff like cron is similar to having your teeth pulled). Do you know of a way to use TeamSite or OpenDeploy for the scheduling?
Migrateduser
Ghoti, He need the sample code not the idea..........
Adam Stoller
Read the documentation / usage information for
iwodcmd
[
schedadd
|
schedget
|
scheddelete
|
schedactivate
]
If you're going to go the route of OD - then you can create a DNR script to perform the publish event (i.e. have OD run the script instead of the script running OD) - in this case you would want to use a
dnrDeployment
Job
to insure that the script to cut the editions is run before the evaluation of what the lastet edition is for purposes of deployment.
Again - the script will make use of the
iwpublish
CLT to create the edition.
This approach (OD -> script) is a bit less flexible than the other approach (script -> OD) in terms of being able to handle multiple branches. If you're only concerned about a single branch - then it's pretty much an even toss-up (IMO).
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
ttriemst
Thanks for the information....it is what I was looking for.