Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
workflowbilder for TS 6.5
w18111
is there a newer version of WorkFlow builder for TeamSite 6.5.x; I only see the download for 5.5.2 and I assume this will work fine for newer version of TS. but just wanted to confirm
thanks
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
pranav
Hi,
I think you should better upgrade your TS6.5 with SP1 installation.And then you can use Workflowbuilder version 5.5.2 without any problem.
By the way as you have not mentioned the Platform details-->
If you are on a solaris box then it requires requires a manual change to the wfbinstall.sh file.
No extra thing is required in case of windows box.
-Pranav
gzevin
the best thing is NOT to use it at all.
Greg Zevin, Ph.D. Comp. Sc.
Independent Interwoven Consultant/Architect
Sydney, AU
Nicholas
I heard this before also. Greg, can you please share your experiece?
gzevin
even IWOV itself does not reccomend to use it. My opinion is that WFB was good for starting a workflow skeleton... However, it was also preventing from learning the workflow XML straightaway.
Greg Zevin, Ph.D. Comp. Sc.
Independent Interwoven Consultant/Architect
Sydney, AU
Nicholas
Thanks Greg. Anyone else using WFB and found issues/limitations. Please comment? If someone from Interwoven could explain why it is not recomended?
Thanks Nicholas
Adam Stoller
WFB in its current form was a hastily created product that never lived up to the needs it was supposed to support.
It works fine for very simple workflows - but most workflows at customer sites tends *not* to be "very simple". They involve conditional logic, data retrieval/parsing/modification, etc.
It works fine for generating the skeleton of an XML-based WFT file - but these days the "in" thing is to develop workflows using the TeamSite::WFconstructor module which is object-oriented and generally far less confusing than intermingling XML and Perl in the same file (as all other basic WFTs do - including, but not limited to WFB-generated WFTs).
If your workflow does not require any kind of Perl coding - WFB may work okay for you, but it's rather limiting and the UI is really not that good.
TeamSite 6.7 should be debuting a *new* WFB that, from what I saw at GearUp in May, is vastly superior to the existing WFB in terms of UI; and significantly different than the current workflow development model (which may be good or bad depending on your view point) - while there was still some functionality missing from this new tool when I saw it in May, I'm reasonably optimistic about its debut and look forward to checking it out when it becomes available.
That being said - you can still try using the existing WFB if you want - but in the long-run I think you'd be better off learning Perl and writing WFTs at the code-level rather than trying to use the existing tool. When 6.7 comes out - *then* consider re-exploring the WFB (it may be called something else?) as a means for developing workflows.
Officially, if asked,I don't think you'll see too many folks at Interwoven telling you *not* to use WFB in its current form. If not asked, or unofficially, if asked, most of them will suggest not using it - but that's pretty standard - you don't really expect a company to officially tell you not to use their products ;-)
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
changedateformat.rptdesign
Nicholas
I haven's seen the WFB UI even didn't installed. I was just curious to know why Interwoven not recommend this product?
nipper
WFB can help you create an overal XML structure and that is it. Most reasonable complex
workflows need a lot more customization than is available with WFB. Once you start coding
you cannot reuse WFB.
Since your environment has some fairly complex WFs, it is not a long term solution.