Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
datadeploys are serial?
jed
OD 6.0.2.1.1
When OpenDeploy performs a datadeploy, are subsequent datadeploys queued until the initial one completes? When a long-running datadeploys is invoked, it seems like other deploys get backed up. If so, is there a specific reason why they will not run in parallel.
Thanks,
~jed
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
Migrateduser
What database are you querying? I know that I once tried a similar thing with Oracle but what would happen is that I updated tables which in turn locked them and therefore made them unavailable to the subsequent DD's I was trying to run. Whichever DB you're querying, is it threaded or no? Are you trying to invoke distinct definitions and that's where it's getting backed up or are you calling the same one more than once?
Dave
jed
The db is oracle and it is the same or similar schema being used.
During some testing, I *think* deploys were also serialized when going to different DB. I would have to do some testing to be sure, but I think an update to db B would not complete until an update to db A completed. This would lead me to believe the locking is in DD and not oracle.
Either way, I was hoping for a quick answer so I would not have to do the testing
Migrateduser
Jed,
In 6.x, DD runs as a thread in the OD base server. DD deployments are serialized by default.
If you want to run multiple concurrent DD deployments, you can enable the execProcess attribute in odbase.xml.
Todd
jed
Thanks! I found that "documented" in the DTD, but I cannot find it anywhere else? Is there a RTFM you can point me toward?
Also, is there a reason this is set to no by default? Any known issues with parallel deployments? I assume the DB will take care of all required locking?
Thanks,
~jed
Migrateduser
I believe it's doc'd in the Installation Guide as a base server setup option.
Going from memory... Originally OD 6.0 did not provide this option; all DD deployments were serialized. The execProcess attribute was added in 6.0.1 to handle situations where a long running deployment might block other ones.
Keep in mind that execProcess spawns a new process for each DD deployment. So you incur some extra overhead for starting each deployment. The process dies when deployment concludes. (This behavior resembles the old DD 5.x iwdd, where each invocation of iwdd was a separate process.)
jed
Yup. It is in the installation guide. I was looking through the admin guides.
Thanks!
~jed