Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
Submit
Bhargav Coca
Just curious, if we can use more than one 'Submit' task in a workflow?
Thanks
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
jbonifaci
I've never tried it, but I would think so. Are you seeing something that would suggest you can't? What are you seeing?
My question of course is, why do you want to do this?
Bhargav Coca
My reason for doing this is that my client is more inquisitive on the 'View Difference' link in his approval emails. There is only one workflow which deploys content both into Staging/QA server and production server. For now i have the submit task just before deploying to Production and right after an approval stage from production manager. Here there is no problem as such, cuz the differences are evident when deploying to production.
But on the other side, before this approval and deployment to production tasks, there a whole Developers and deployment to QA tasks. When Content contributor hits submit, the content is deployed into QA and a email is sent to CC to go ahead and submit for prod approval or reject it for autor work. Here when one clicks on View differences, he will not be able to see any changes unless the content is deployed atleast once to production.
Thats the reason i want an other submit taks here.
I hope i am making sense here.
Thank you
nipper
You *should* be able to have multiple submittasks. However I think this is a huge can of worms you are about to open. Basically you would need to add/remove content from the WF before the task ran.
Can you come up with a better way to view the differences that would make your users happy rather than trying to mess with multiple submits. Like make an edition and compare to that ?
Bhargav Coca
well i can do that, But i have do some customization the view differences link i guess. Is it possible to view differences on single file while we are dealing with Editions.
As per my clients requirement, they are very new to Teamsite, and it was hard for them to comprehend simple elements like Workarea and Staging. I wouldn't like to aggrivate their abiguity my Introducing the concept of Editions to them.
They need some time getting adjusted to Workarea and Staging.
IS there any other way where we can use mutiple submissions and make an Overwrite for the second submission?
Thank you
jbonifaci
Unless I'm missing something, why not just do:
submittask
deployment task to QA
approval task for moving to production
deployment task to Prod
endtask
Bhargav Coca
No it is not like this
Starttask
deployment task to QA
approval task to push for approval to prod( here the developer has to view the differences, if there is no submit task before this or after this its not possible for viewing differences)
approval task for moving to production
submittask
deployment task to Prod
endtask
jbonifaci
I know what you're saying you want, but as I said before, this seems much more logical:
submittask
deployment task to QA
approval task for moving to production
deployment task to Prod
endtask
Why not do it like this?
Adam Stoller
I'm pretty sure you can have multiple submittask's within a workflow - I believe the submittask will silently ignore the "no changes to submit" condition if no changes were made to any (or all) of the files since the previous submittask.
As long as the customer doesn't mind versioning files that have only been deployed for QA purposes and that may or may not be the same as those which get deployed to for PROD purposes, I believe what you were suggesting should work.
Bhargav Coca
I am sorry this is not right or i am just a moron.
Submittask ( here the file is submitted to staging)
View difference after this task will not show any differences.
So submit task should be as i have it right now, after the approval to production and before deployment to production.
Thanks
Adam Stoller
Based on your requirements - yes, I believe you are correct - if you submit the file you will not be able to see any differences unless you explicitly elect to compare the current version of the file with a specific older version (historical versions or through editions).
You either want something like:
QA Approval -> Submit -> Deploy for QA -> Prod Approval (assuming read/write) -> Submit -> Deploy for Prod
Or, what I believe you already have:
QA Approval -> Deploy for QA(*) -> Prod Approval -> Submit -> Deploy(**)
(* Depending on what happens for QA - perhaps the deployment preceeds the approval step?)
(** In this last case, you may want to deploy to *both* QA and Prod)
There are probably several other variants that one could come up with, but if you want to simplify the file comparison feature, then you want to submit as late as possible.
Bhargav Coca
Thank you Adam, Thats exactly what i had in my mind.
Thank you