Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
LaunchPad overwrites workarea files w/IWTemp files
mogoo
TS6.5 SP1, Solaris, CCPro UI
OK, has anyone noticed this behavior in 6.5 yet?
1. User1 edits a flat file via LaunchPad, uploads the file to teamsite, but keeps the file in LaunchPad.
[User1 file edits]
2. User2 edits that same flat file via LaunchPad, uploads it to teamsite.
[User2 file edits (includes User1 file edits)]
3. User1 wants to make additional edits. When User1 clicks edit in the teamsite GUI, LaunchPad opens the version of the file that was kept in User1's LaunchPad in Step 1,
[User1 file edits]
, which means that if User1 makes edits and uploads back in to the GUI,
[User2 file edits]
are overwritten!
This is horrible behavior. We've been able to re-produce this behavior...
-when User1 & User2 are working in the same workarea
-when User1 & User2 are in different workareas, and a submit and get latest are performed between Steps 2 & 3
When you click "edit" in the teamsite GUI, shouldn't LaunchPad re-download the workarea version? Or at the very least prompt you that your workarea version & your LaunchPad version are different?
Has anyone seen this, or know of any way to prevent this from happening?
TIA!
maureen
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
DavidMusser
I just did the same test on Windows 2000 with TeamSite 6.5 and the same thing happens.
So I think this is a major bug. If you file a case with support let me know so that when I call I can reference your case.
-D
David R Musser
Eye Street Software
540-542-5257
dmusser@eyestreet.com
Win2k, TS 6.5 SP1, OD 6.01
reddyl
If the user's regularly update the files using Launch pad you can consider to expose TeamSite file system using Samba shares.
Adam Stoller
I kind of hate to say this - but it's actually expected behavior with the Submit Locking model and shared workareas. If you don't submit the file in between edits there is nothing to prevent the file from being overwritten and intermediate changes lost,
If you use individual workareas - no such problem exists.
If you use Mandatory Write Locking model for your branch - I believe the problem also fails to exist
If your users have LaunchPad configured to Always Remove the files after uploading - I believe the problem fails to exist.
If you submit the file in between edits - the second update by user1 would still overwrite the file in the shared workarea, but the overwritten file would exist as a versioned entity and could be retrieved and merged with the other modifications.
You're basically looking for version control within the workarea - which while it may be an existing feature request (I believe) it is not the way the product works (or has ever worked) and therefore it is not a bug - just an unfortunate characteristic of a questionable scenario where two (or more) people are editing the same file in a shared workarea without proper communication or procedures for avoiding this kind of situation [IMO -- though I think version control in the workarea could be very handy].
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
jbonifaci
I would recommend having your users set the following launchpad setting:
What to do with the local files after uploading them:
* Always remove
~Jeff