Is it possible to clone a docbase with the source docbase and the target docbase having different installation owner ids?
Thanks....
I dont think this is possible. We tried doing this once and while the repository started up fine, we countered issues with how system ACLs were interpretted. We tried several days to resolve the issue with no avail, and in the end we decided that it would be safer to just have the install owner ID be the same.
Is supported and is descibed in one of the manauls how to change the install owner on different platforms..Only I don't known directly which manual...install or the mirgation..
Thanks Johnny for the quick response!!
Would it be possible to do the following...
Source Docbase Install ID: userA (Domain acct)
Target Docbase Install ID: userA (Local Admin acct)
Target Service Acct: svacct (Domain acct)
Steps:
1. Install CS and docbase (with same serial num, name, db connect, etc) on source machine with acct userA (local Admin)
2. Copy over the clone system (database export, data, dba, keys, etc)
3. Modify the user_os_name and user_login_name with the svacct acct information
4. Modify the Windows services (dmbroker, java method server, dmdocbase) to startup with this acct (svacct)
5. Modify server.ini (install_owner) from userA to svacct
6. Grant full access to all folders, subdirectories, and files (%Documentum_Home%) to svacct and remove userA
7. Registry changes
Would this work?
Reference: http://www.dmdeveloper.com/articles/administration/changingInstallOwner.pf.html
Thanks Again!!!
We followed steps similar to what you outlined. As stated in my previous post, the cloning seem to work except that the system ACLs did not function as expected. I dont recall the behavior, nor what we did to try to resolve the problems with the ACL. My suggestion is that if you are forced to use a different install owner, try it out on DEV system first. Then perform application functionality tests; specifically ones that tests permissions.
See steps in the C/S install guide (for 6.5 SP2, p 77, paragraph "Changing the installation owner account")
Johnny, do you have any specific usecases or test procedures around permissions? That would be extremely helpful.
Thanks Again!
Thank you Wiesnoepersa for your responses... It is much appreciated. One thing the guide does not specify is reassigning the old install owner to the new install owner. Is it not recommended to be this? How will the old objects owned be the old install owner behave with the new owner if the ownership has not been reassigned?
We have done this many time and it works without any issues….
Source Docbase Installation owner: userA (Domain acct)
Target Docbase Installation owner: userB (Local Admin acct)
Follow the “Creating a repository copy to test an upgrade” chapter of CS installation guide to clone the Docbase.
Install DA
Login to DA using the target server’s installation owner (userB)
Go to user management select the source Installation owner (userA)
Reassign this installation owner to userB (I would suggest you run it in report only mode first to make sure that all objects can be reassigned)
Does the reassignment change the last modified dates?
Yes it will change the r_modify_date
The last modified date changing is going to be an issue for us. So I decided to use a different approach.
Referencing the "Changing Documentum's Installation Owner" guide I followed approach 1 "Updating only the installation user OS name". I went through every step and I'm getting an error when I try to start the docbase.
Old Install Owner setting:
user_name = dmadmin
user_login_name = dmadmin
user_domain = local acct
user_os_name = 'blank'
window_domain = 'blank'
New Install Owner setting:
user_login_name = newDmadmin
user_domain = domainB
user_os_name = newDmadmin
window_domain = domainB
Changed the Services to run with this new account: domainB/newDmadmin
Both the docbroker and java method server service startup fine without any issues under this new account, but the docbase service does not.
Error Message:
[DM_SERVER_E_CREATE_CONTEXT]: Unable to create server context. Error: Failure to determine process user DB Computer. Operating System error: No Error Message Available
However if I put the old install owner back to run the service it runs, but after awhile I get the following error message.
[AGENTEXEC 2988] Detected during program initialization: Command Failed: connect,DCTM_TEST.DCTM_TEST,dmadmin,'',,,try_native_first, status: 0, with error message [DM_SESSION_E_AUTH_FAIL]error: "Authentication failed for user dmadmin with docbase DCTM_TEST."
Any ideas?
Thanks Again....
Make sure you can access the domain account from the local machine
https://solutions.emc.com/emcsolutionview.asp?id=esg91458
Thanks for the quick response.
I switched the account to another domain that allowed PDC and it worked. Are there any workarounds to bypass the PDC issue?
Not that i am aware of....