Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
Best method for deploying a page automatically?
OctavianMH
I have a question regarding Teamsite best practices.. I'm sticking it in this forum because you guys were SO very helpful in getting my RSS builder working a month ago or so.
The RSS builder template is working now without a hitch. Currently, i'm executing it via the CLT. I'm curious how I should go about automating this process, i.e. the daily re-generation of the output file, and its submittal for publishing.
My assumptions were:
1) A cron job would run the CLT iwpt_compile.ipl on a daily basis to generate the output of the RSS display template. That output is saved in our main work area.
2) I create an Open Deploy configuration to deploy the rss file.
3) I create an Open Deploy schedule to execute the above config on a daily basis, presumably a little after the cron job creates the fresh rss file.
What occured to me is that with this method, the RSS file would never actually exist in STAGING. I would never be submitting the RSS file to be published, technically. Now, I BELIEVE our publishing system is set up to automatically deploy content that's been submitted to staging. So should i instead do:
1) cron job to create RSS file
2) publish the file using CLT
3) let the already in place open deploy configs take care of the deployment (assuming i'm right about how that's working)
It occurs to me that i should look into the submit workflows in our system to see if the open deploy configs are being executed programatically.. I sadly don't know enough about OD yet!
Does any of this make sense? Am I on the right track?
Thanks, in advance,
matt
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
jbonifaci
If you already have a scheduled OD deployment that is doing comparisons between staging and your web server, I would recommend generating your page before this process happens. Otherwise, you can just kick off a deployment at the end of the page generation, no need to schedule two processes. Either way though, you should be submitting this file to staging.
~Jeff