Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
Index External using web services...
Phead2
Is there any way to index something externally using the mediabin web services? I tried using the InsertAsset_UNC function but it seems this still inserts an asset normally, just from a UNC path...
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
msnider
Currently, Index External functionality is not exposed thru the web service. But we've been getting several requests for it, so I will add it to the list of features for our next release.
Mark
Phead2
Is there anyway to only insert a thumbnail for an asset and not to insert the entire asset (maybe insert it and then delete the main image)? Basically we want to catalog a CD or other media into mediabin for searching and looking at metadata but we do not want to keep the actual assets in there (it will take up too much room). We will just have a metadata field for referencing where the asset is actually located. I read an earlier thread where it was suggested that a script be used for such a purpose but no additional details were provided (what sort of script?)...
msnider
Well, Index External was intended for that specific purpose....so maybe we can come up with a workaround. What type of environment are you developing your client?
Mark
Phead2
I was using C# with the web services to make a windows app. There are two primary functions, one is to import archives from another archiving platform (Cumulus) which is basically done as I am only exporting the thumbnails from Cumulus and I am inserting those directly into MediaBin as they are very small already.
The other function is meant to archive assets from cd/dvds or network shares. In this case all I want is for there to be a thumbnail and metadata for each asset. As it stands I can "archive" into mediabin off of cds/dvds and network shares and get everything I need except for the fact that the asset is being inserted into the repository.
Thanks for your help.
msnider
If you are creating a C# client and both the client and the MediaBin server are not separated by a firewall, then instead of using the web services interface, you can use the native C# interface. By using the native C# interface, you gain access to the underlying MediaBin COM object which also gives you access to the functionality not yet exposed thru the web service...namely, InsertFileExternal.
I've attached a sample Windows form class that illustrates how to do this. In your application, create a .NET reference to both MBPNetModel.dll (found in the bin directory of the MediaBin WebService) and MBPScriptModel2.dll ( found in Program Files\Common Files\Interwoven, Inc\MediaBin Models)
Mark