We are having issues with entering Special characters into Extended attributes, through the metadata datacapture.cfg template.
Example
If I enter — or – ( or alternatively — / –

, in say a "textarea" of datacapture.cfg template. The first time I hit "save", the values are saved as — or – in the extended attributes. I check this, using iwexattr command. In addition, the values are converted automatically to WYSWYG format, by the Metadata capture template. So on the template itself, you see the WYSWYG format of mdash and ndash.
I deploy the metadata into the database (Oracle 8i) and view the set Metadata on my website - The mdash and ndash appears fine.
Now, If I hit, Save the second time, Teamsite converts and saves mdash and ndash to, I believe UTF-8 format.
However, when I deploy this time and view on the website, the mdash and ndash appear as "BOXES". Meaning, they are not interpreted correctly.
If you compare this with the behaviour on normal content datacapture.cfg templates....it's entirely different. Content datacapture.cfg templates, convert the special character to –
Questions
1. Is there a way to configure teamsite Metadata datacapture.cfg template, so it doesn't automatically convert special characters or rather retains them the way they are entered, like content datacapture.cfg templates?
2. Do you know any library I could use, that returns the Unicode number, if I pass it the special character?
3. What is the best soln for this issue?
Thanks