Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
I once has a installation *THIS* big....
Tbag
For all you gurus out there:
I'm facing the prospect of dumping 3.5 million files amounting to about 1 terabyte of data (almost all PDFs) into our single TS 6.5 server running on (gulp) Windows. Sounds like fun, right?
Assuming I absolutely have to do this, what are your thoughts? The biggest installation I've ever managed was about 750,000 files but only 600 megs or so, but that was on a Solaris box which I inherently trust more than Windows.
My first concern is branch size; I'm guessing I'd have to create some sort of "branch abstraction logic" to evenly distribute that volume of data over 100 branches or so just to keep branch-level operations to a reasonable time frame.
My second concern was with inodes, but I hope some clever disk formatting can support that.
Also, I was worried about TS cache size, but I don't think I need to be. If I did the math correctly, it's an average of 35K files per branch, which would mean I'd have to set the cache size setting at ~100K ==> ~128MB of physical memory which is no problem.
Any thoughts/suggestions?
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
Bill Klish
To help on the disk side I would consider using a SAN solution from EMC or Network Appliance. For managing that kind of data load, the backup time using other options would be unbearable. Using the snapshot technology of these solutions (although very expensive) will keep your backup time in the minutes. It takes us about 1 minute to backup 30 GB here. Your volume is much higher, but I would think you could get similar performance.
As for the platform of choice, I wouldn't go the Windows route
which you already know....
Not sure I can shed too much light on the other points, but I would open a support case and confirm your assumptions on cache size, etc.
jed
Apples and oranges, but....
We have about 600,000+ files and 50 gigs of assets (+ file versions) across various branches without any issues. Our single biggest branch is 12 gigs and 100,000+ files.
Obviously we run Solaris, but we also run on a very hefty box. We have 12x CPU's and 48 gigs of ram--not your typical teamsite server. Success will also depend how you use all this content. If you have many people htting this through the GUI, you are probably in for a world of pain. If teamsite is being treated as filesystem with cheap file versioning with spradic updates, you might be able to get by.
Good luck.