Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
Windows Desktop Backups
nipper
Non TeamSite Related
I have 5 computers at home with various OS's (Win2K Win98 Win ME and WinXP)
I figure backing those up would be a good idea.
Frey's Electronics has a 1 Terrabyte filesystem that I can hook up to my system and copy
stuff over.
My question is what is the best way to backup the OS with a reasonable hope of recovery ? Can
I use Ghost to create an image to a device like that ? Even better, over the network ?
Currently for my laptop I use ghost to copy one disk to another, that is a real pain.
Andy
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
Migrateduser
What about using Windows' backup program? All of those versions should have it already installed. I've attempted to recover from a Windows backup that way and it worked quite well, actually.
DISCLAIMER: This modicum of excitement for a Microsoft product does, in no way, establish approval or general fuzzy feelings for Microsoft's products as a whole on the part of the first party.
Dave
Current Environments:
(1,2) TS 6.5 on W2K3
(3) Vignette V7 Portal on Solaris 9
Migrateduser
1 TB? How much?
Current Environments:
(1,2) TS 6.5 on W2K3
(3) Vignette V7 Portal on Solaris 9
nipper
$750, firewire interface (among others)
BTW, can Windows backup program backup over the network ? What do you need to
recover then ?
Thanks DOS-lover
Migrateduser
Dammit, I hate Windows... my signature file here used to say how much I missed Unix but they have size limits here on signature files.
ANYWAY, I haven't tried to back up over a network but when restoring, you have the option of restoring to either an absolute path (from which the files were backed up in the first place) or a relative path. And, I would imagine that restoring over a network would be just fine.
Something to be cautious of when backing up any Windows platform is the registry and other system-hidden information. Their backup program does a good job of that, but I doubt that you would be able to accomplish that with this program.
Dave
Current Environments:
(1,2) TS 6.5 on W2K3
(3) Vignette V7 Portal on Solaris 9
Migrateduser
i buy external enclosures and hard drives, cheap & effective. also, you can run raid if any of yer systems support it.
-------------------
World of Warcraft
— Illidan/Horde