Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
6.1 Backing Store Copy to 6.5
cliffhanger
Our current production envrionment is: TS 6.1 on Windows2000 Server. We have been relentlessly trying to build a new Prod Server on Windows2003 and TeamSite 6.5.
Our new Prod server that was built on Win2k3 was functioning fine for couple weeks, then we copied over the backing store from the 6.1 machine to this new one. It worked for a few days with problems such as slooooowwww performance, services stopping without notice and then eventually died. We couldn't get that machine back up after that.
Is someone aware of backing store copy issue from 6.1 to 6.5? I am suspecting backing store copy(and/or OS version) because our QA machine was rebuilt in the same manner and still serving gracefully, the only difference was that we never copied production backing store to QA.
Any thought?
-cliff
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
Migrateduser
I did the same exact thing a couple of months ago and it was very smooth for me. Silly question, but did you freeze TS before copying the backing store? Also, can you verify that the copy happened successfully? What procedure had you gone through after copying the backing store over?
The reason for the last question is that I'm not sure if directly writing over the existing 6.5 backing store is a good idea. I had copied it to a different area, made the appropriate changes in iw.cfg, and then everything was fine.
Dave
Current Environments:
(1,2) TS 6.5 on W2K3
(3) Vignette V7 Portal on Solaris 9
cliffhanger
I had copied it to a different area, made the appropriate changes in iw.cfg, and then everything was fine.
What do you mean by copying it to a different area? So did you copy the backing store to a different
area
, then made iw.cfg changes in the 6.5 machine and then copied back the store from that
area
to the new one?
Migrateduser
No, sorry... I wasn't clear. Let's say my 6.5 vanilla backing store was in
\iw-store -- well, because it was. My 6.1 backing store had already been backed up multiple times and there was a copy sitting at
\iw-store1. So, I was able to verify that the install went well and I had myself a plain 6.5 instance when I stopped TeamSite, changed the iw-store location, and restarted. Everything was fine.
Following that, I removed the vanilla backing store and renamed
\iw-store1 to
\iw-store (who wants to look at a directory called iw-store1, anyway), and changed iw.cfg again to reflect that.
So, I wasn't using the word "area" in the context of TeamSite. Rather, I was using the word more generically.
Dave
Current Environments:
(1,2) TS 6.5 on W2K3
(3) Vignette V7 Portal on Solaris 9
cliffhanger
Your case seems a little different that ours. It sounds like you upgraded 6.1 to 6.5 on the same physical box, but we actually copied 6.1 store to a new machine with 6.5 installed in it.
We had a fresh new install of 6.5 on a new box, did some regression testing in it, and everyone was happy!
Then we copied the 6.1 backing store from the old machine to the new 6.5 machine, and started experiencing issues. I don't know the specifics of how the backing store was copied, because it is a different team that does that.
Anyway, I'll try to find out the specifics about how it was copied.
cliffhanger
Okay, this is how they copied the store. First they kept a backup of 6.1 store on tape, and then after 6.5 was installed successfully the store was copied from tape to this new machine. And yes teamsite service was frozen at the time of this copy. Don't see anything unusual with the process.