Hi experts,
Has anyone have successfully implemented load balancing & or fail over for wdk based applications in Tomcat?
I had once worked on this issue without success.
Please advice.
Thanks
If there are Accepted Answers, those will be shown by default. You can switch to 'All Replies' by selecting the tab below.
Hi,
I have a simple loadbalancing setupbased on mod_jk and jboss. It has been wokring for the last three years without any real problem. If you have some specific question or want some configuration details, let me know.
Stephane
What issues did you have? Not every component in WDK is designed to support failover. Only the transaction intensive components (eg advsearch) is built such that if a user is entering search criteria and the app server fails, the other app server loads what the user has already entered in.
Actually it is not important to fail over the user sessions, even log in again and start everything again is acceptable.
So for doing this I created apache server as front end and two tomcats as back end.Most of the components worked,
but I faced problems with ucf import and drs reports.
Note that tomcat is not supported by emc in wdk release notes for fail over or load balancing, so I give up working on this after the problems.
Johnny, have you ever done somthing similar?Please give some suggestions if it is possible or not.
What kind of errors are you getting?
When we did this, we used F5 hardward load-balancer. The one thing we had to do (and maybe its a configuration setting for apache) is that you have to configure "sticky sessions". Once a user has connected to tomcat#1, he/she has to stay connected to that machine and NOT get redirected to the other (except for failover).
Hi Johnny,
thank you for the reply.We don't use hardware for load balancing instead I used apache server.Don't remember the exact error as I gave up on this after some time.I will move on working on this again and let you know.Hope to succedd this time.
You are not getting any failover benefits with apache which I hope you realize as it cannot detect application failures. So your setup is pretty much for load balancing. With UCF, the typical suspects are signed/unsigned certificates (if using https), chunked encoding (HTTP 1.1 support). So make sure you are not hitting these.
ok, happy to hear that, I had also configured mod_jk but my application server was Tomcat.I will start working this soon and will let you know if there are any issues.
Thanks you very much.