Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
Teamsite Metatagging
frogman
Teamsite 6.5 SP1
Windows Server 2003
We are using the Teamsite Metatagging UI to collect Meta data.
The client has a taxonomy that is a hierarchy of Keywords. We are providing four selection drop-downs, one for each level of the hierarchy. The intention is to populate each drop-down dynamically when selection is made in the previous (i.e. parent) drop-down.
I was hoping to use FormAPI as I have not found any documentation that says I cannot use it in the metadata datacapture.cfg. However, on searching the forums it appears that this functionality is not available to me. My questions are:
1. Am I correct in my understanding that FormAPI is not abailable for use in the metatagging datacapture.cfg?
2. If I am correct, where is this documented?
3. Are there any suggestions as to alternatives. I would assume that the workround would be to use a workflow and a CGI task to build a form that captures the metadata and then writes the metadata EAs into the file.
Thanks for any advice.
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
gzevin
1. Am I correct in my understanding that FormAPI is not abailable for use in the metatagging datacapture.cfg?
yes
2. If I am correct, where is this documented?
probably nowhere, take my word.
3. Are there any suggestions as to alternatives. I would assume that the workround would be to use a workflow and a CGI task to build a form that captures the metadata and then writes the metadata EAs into the file.
you could write a CGI callout that could do virtually anything and then return a 'composite' field. That field could be then taken care of by subsequent metadata processing stuff
Greg Zevin, Ph.D. Comp. Sc.
Independent Interwoven Consultant/Architect
Sydney, AU
frogman
Hi Greg,
Thanks for the info. I am so **** off with Interwoven - they really are useless at times. The Admin Guide makes it pretty clear that the MDC is 'just another DCT' in a different location. (see p112 and p121), when this is simply not the case.
I have subsequently found out that the issue is indeed documented - in a KB article! (
https://support.interwoven.com/kb/kb_show_article2.asp?ArticleID=53053
)
Clearly, telepathy is a prerequisite for Teamsite developers!
Anyway, I'll just use a CGI callout instead. I've added an enhanvement request to make the FormAPI available to the MDC. Let's see if that gets us anywhere.
</rant>
Cheers
Mike
gzevin
hey, this is what pays my bills....
We are all thankful to the vendors, othewise we would not have our jobs
Greg Zevin, Ph.D. Comp. Sc.
Independent Interwoven Consultant/Architect
Sydney, AU
Adam Stoller
Anyway, I'll just use a CGI callout instead. I've added an enhanvement request to make the FormAPI available to the MDC. Let's see if that gets us anywhere.
Well, supposedly in either 6.7 or 7.0 (both still largely vaporware at this time) the entire UI for both templating and metadata capture is supposed to be overhauled/merged/united (if you think about it, 6.x separated the metatagger engine from the metatagger UI - so this is the "next step" in the UI evolution). So, hopefully we'll have FormAPI (or similar) available in both UIs (or a single UI that provides for both functions?) in the not too disant future.
(I think there was a post about this not too long ago, but I don't feel like searching for it now)
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
Jamik
I asked about FormAPI and MDC at a Metatagger Training class (cause you know it'd be nice if I could use FormAPI to prepopulate some fields like we do with templated content) and the trainer told me that FormAPI was being replaced with SOAP. So I guess we get to look forward to using SOAP.
I'm also curious how the merging will affect the Metatagger product (whenever the merger happens).
Migrateduser
I'm hoping that was a case of a trainer who was either unclear or had no idea what he was talking about. If you think about it, there's no way to do most of what formapi does with soap since you are affecting client data based on other client data (in other words, the server has no clue that you've added another instance of replicant until you post the whole thing back). Doing a postback for every little thing like that would just be nuts from a performance standpoint.
On the other hand, if what he/she meant was that the model of asynchronous server calls that execute CGIs that then trigger javascript functions back in your formapi file is going to be replaced with web services calls that are consumed by your formapi javascript when you need to interact with the server, a la
http://www.codeguru.com/Csharp/Csharp/cs_webservices/tutorials/article.php/c7781/
, that would be a welcome addition.
Migrateduser
Hello,
Interwoven Education researched this issue and here is the feedback from the instructor who provided that MetaTagger Class provided in Ottawa, Canada in April of this year [please note my comments in brackets below]:
"It sounds like the student in question has some confusion here. Our courseware does address functional changes to the 'form' used by Metatagger and Teamsite. However, FormAPI is not discussed in this setting. OpenAPI [used to be] used by skilled programmers to access teamsite content, but this would be outside the Metatagger course as well. Sounds like a simple misunderstanding."
[It sounds like this may have been a question on OpenAPI that was confused with FormAPI. I hope this helps to clear up any statements made during that training class.
Thanks]
Migrateduser
As Alex indicates, it is OpenAPI that is now a mature API, replaced by ContentServices, which provides a SOAP transport.
Regards,
lissa