Please let me know how I can get my functionality of creating a copy of the document with a template

athati
edited May 1, 2012 in Documentum #1

Hi,

I have a document template (attached). It is an excel spread sheet. When ever a user want to use is he/she must ba able to create a copy of it. I think the template must go into "Templates" cabinet, but I am not sure how exactly it works. Would you please let me know how I can get my functionality of creating a copy of the document with the template form attached. What is the best practice?

Please share your knowledge and experiences for figuring this out.

Thanks.

ta

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• pettitk
    edited May 1, 2012 #3

Yes. It goes in the templates cabinet. Documentum shows the user the template if the type and format match what the user is looking for. For example if your format is excel and the type is sop_doc then the user would have to pick that combination to use the template. Try it in webtop. You will quickly see it. Also consult w the end user documentation. This one is documented in the guides.

--

Kyle Pettit

• athati
    edited May 1, 2012 #4

Thanks Kyle.

Can I import the template into "Template" cabinet? Later should I restart docbase/docbroker to see the template in webtop?

Please let me know.

Thanks.

ta

• DCTM_Guru
    edited May 1, 2012 #5

You dont need to restart.  The New->Document component queries for document template in Templates cabinet at runtime.  Just make sure you have document template defined for your custom object type.

• athati
    edited May 1, 2012 #6

Thanks Johnny.

I have my template on my desktop. To move into "Templates" cabinet, shall import it there?

Please let me know.

Also please let me know how I can assiciate this template to my custom object type.

Thanks.

ta

• DCTM_Guru
    edited May 1, 2012 #7 Answer ✓

Yes, import.  Select your type when you import.

• athati
    edited May 1, 2012 #8

Thanks Johnny.

When I try to import by selecting my custom type, it is forcing me to select required attribute values. I think I do not have any values to put into the template. Only when a user create a document of this template, he/she need to enter/select values for all (especially required) attributes.

Please advise me.

Thanks.

ta

• DCTM_Guru
    edited May 1, 2012 #9

Put in the required values and then after import is complete, use DA and null out the values using DQL update.

• athati
    edited May 1, 2012 #10

Thanks Johnny.

It worked. When I create a new document (New -> Document) and select my custom type, the I see the Format drop down list with two options:

'none' and

'MS Excel Workbook 2007 /2010'.

When I select the 2nd option I see my template in grayed out Template dropdown list.

Is there any way I hide the option 'none' because my template is of 'MS Excel Workbook 2007 /2010'? Does it need any customization? Users does not like the option 'none'

Please advise me.

Thanks.

ta

• DCTM_Guru
    edited May 1, 2012 #11

Requires customization.

• athati
    edited May 1, 2012 #12

Thanks Johnny.

Can you please tell me which component needs to be customized if you remember. I am exploring now to remove the 'none' option.

Thank you for your help.

ta

• DCTM_Guru
    edited May 1, 2012 #13

newdocument