How can I stop any document being edited while it is in a workflow?

athati
edited May 10, 2012 in Documentum #1

Hi,

How can I stop any document being edited while it is in a workflow?

Please share your knowledge and experiences for figuring this out.

Thanks.

ta

Best Answer

Answers

• pettitk
    edited May 9, 2012 #3

ACLs…

• athati
    edited May 9, 2012 #4

Thanks Kyle.

I understand what you say. This is the situation:

All performers have 'write' access to the document. The document is in a workflow. Any user who has 'write' access being a performer still can edit the document. Right!!

I need to stop this while the document is in a workflow.

Please give me some details how I can achieve this using ACLs or other ways.

Thanks.

ta

• pettitk
    edited May 9, 2012 #5

I am betting there are other options, here are a few:

· Use the Create ACL activity template. From the guide:

o Use the ACL activity template to create a Documentum ACL object from an ACL template and apply it to objects within a process instance. The ACL template must already exist within the repository and must have been created to include placeholders or aliases for users and groups. The system uses the Create ACL activity template to supply values for these placeholders and aliases based on process data and creates a new ACL object from the template after resolving the aliases. For example, using Documentum Composer, you can create an ACL template for a customer case that enables a supervisor to have write and delete permissions for a package, while the processor for the case has only write access. An ACL template can have different aliases for users and groups and can grant them different permissions. You can also create separate ACLs for departments that require different permission sets for its users and groups.

· ACLs could by driven by a lifecycle state, the lifecycle action could be to change the ACL.

o 1st activity, changes state, the state’s actions change the ACL

o Last activity, changes state, the action of the state changes the ACL

· You could do custom auto activities where appropriate to the packages, to change the ACL while in the WF. (requires some java coding).

· Try using the DQL Write activity template, perhaps with some creativity, it could do the update for you?? not sure. I haven’t tried it, just a thought.

• lastnitescurry
    edited May 10, 2012 #6

use the Alter ACL activity from Activity Templates xCelerator

https://community.emc.com/docs/DOC-7268?notification=sent

• DCTM_Guru
    edited May 10, 2012 #7

If you dont want any person to edit the document while its in the workflow, just checkout the document by docbase owner.  The lock will prevent all users from editing the document without having to change the ACL.

If you want one person (or group of people) to be able to edit it, then you have to change the ACL.

• athati
    edited May 10, 2012 #8

Thanks Johnny.

In my workflow the task will be assigned to a group and one member of the group will acquire and workout on that document. Only that member need to have the ability to checkout/edit/checkin. If the document is edited and checked in, the task will automatically go to Workflow Supervisor. We already have code for this. My question is while a document is being processed in a workflow, I need to stop any external user (external to workflow) to checkout/edit/checkin that document.

You mentioned:

.... checkout the document by docbase owner.

If the document is checked out by docbase owner, how any can  a manual performer work on that document? Would you please make it clear to me?

Note: My current ACL gives "Write" to all manual performers in the workflow and those performers will work on the document in the workflow.

Please advise me.

Thanks.

ta

• pettitk
    edited May 10, 2012 #9

Yep. Anyone w version or write can change content and version the doc. Anyone w write can also overwrite the doc. To me, at this point, seems like you need an acl for the period of time that the doc is in the wf and an acl while it is not in a wf.

Depending on you client layer, perhaps you could not allow editing via it. However, that only mask the access via that client. An ootb client like webtop would still follow their least restrictive permission rule. It's better to control via ACLs then client layers.

--

Kyle Pettit

• DCTM_Guru
    edited May 10, 2012 #10

Please re-read my response:

"The lock will prevent all users from editing the document without having to change the ACL."

"If you want one person (or group of people) to be able to edit it, then you have to change the ACL."

• athati
    edited May 10, 2012 #11

Thanks Kyle and Johnny for your active input to my issue.

I am trying to understand both of you, but still trying to understand.

My issue again is "While in workflow, only the current performer must be able to edit/checkin the document"

May be I need to change ACL on the fly? Is it what you say?

ta

• DCTM_Guru
    edited May 10, 2012 #12 Answer ✓

Yes