Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
branch size with 6.5
Johnny
Solaris 5.8
TS 6.5 - no service pack
4 GB physical memory
4 CPUs
Our hardware is pretty crappy at the moment and I'm looking at a project that may hold 8GB data with approx 15,000 - 20,000 files.
With these specs, would a single branch pattern still be appropriate. I'd like to keep to one branch for usability sake.
I know there have been discussions about this, but I'd like to hear if there are any considerations with 6.5.
John Cuiuli
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
Tbag
8 Gigs in one branch? I find it tedious to do list-modified/submitting/get-latest/whatever on branches nearing the 1 Gig threshold. But like you alluded to, I don't think it is the total file size that determines branch performance so much as total file and directory count. 15-20K of files isn't all that much, so you should be ok with those specs. . . .by the way, when is 4 CPUs and 4GB of physical memory "crappy hardware" ?? ;-)
Besides, you can always start off with a 1 branch model and then split if off into a nested branch structure later if performance ends up sucking.
Johnny
Thanks for the feedback - you're right about splitting the branch later on.
I would like to hear peoples configurations though - I thought 15-20K might be a little to much so that's good news. Still not sure what to do with this 8 GB though.
Oh and trust me it's crappy - we have heaps of low memory issues. It's a very old box (can't upgrade memory etc) - 4 GB is nothing for a production server!!
How about the rest of you - how have you managed? It would be great for Interwoven to jump in on this as well.
Cheers
John Cuiuli
Johnny
I'd really appreciate to hear a variety of views on this - I'm struggling to figure out the impact of it.
It would be great to hear from IWOV too.
(PS sorry bumping this up again!)
John Cuiuli
smenon
How many users do you have on the system and is Search/Indexing installed on the same server? We think that 4 CPUs and 4GB of memory is a reasonable configuration for about 150 concurrent users (which is apprx. 1000 total users) with very light usage or about 50 concurrent users (which is apprx. 333 total users) with moderate usage. The CPU we tested with was a Sparc IIIi @ 1.28 GHz with 1 MB cache. Of course this is based on some internal testing and your mileage may vary depending on other factors such as disk I/O, other applications on the system etc.
As was rightfully pointed out, the performance is not technically dependent on the size of the branch, but on the distribution of directories and files within a directory.
I hope this helps..
thanks
--Sunil Menon
Sr. Product Manager
Interwoven, Inc.
nipper
I had about 25K files (12 GB), 1/3 DCRs on a single branch. DD sucked but that was about it.
The only issue I had was users keeping view modified and then getting 10K files (after
an import or some such nonsense).
This was a Solaris server, powerful, but sitting at 10-20% CPU util. Even when we put
Tagger on, it did not seem to change.
HTH,
me
Johnny
Thanks for the feedback - that gives me a much better idea on how to handle this.
I really want to avoid multiple branches for the one website - it sounds like we can do that.
It's also good to know that 4GB is reasonable
- we did have to turn search off because of memory issues though.
John Cuiuli
Johnny
I think the 6.5 UI really helps with things like view modified.
I've really noticed that the pagination speeds up the response.
John Cuiuli