Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
Running iwconvert without freezing backing store
nhamilton
I've been tasked with migrating various editions from a server running TeamSite 5.0.2 to a second server running 5.5.2. For various reasons, I am unable to upgrade the existing server to a more recent or supported version directly. These are separate servers from our main environment, and the migrated content will only be used to pull old archives from, on an as-needed basis. The old store is about 44GB, which is largely due to the number of editions in use, I believe.
I'm aware of the need to convert the backing store, but the old server is a shared environment, and it will be difficult to freeze the old store for the time it will take to convert editions. Is it possible to run iwconvert with an unfrozen source backing store? I realize that this is in no way ideal, but the content to be migrated will not be modified, only files in different branches.
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
Adam Stoller
Do they backup the 5.0.2 store?
If so - you might be able to use a surroagate server - perhaps mounting the copy of the 5.0.2 backing store somewhere on the 5.5.2 server and perform all the conversion on the 5.5.2 server itself.
I'd check with Support first - even though you're dealing with two end-of-life'd versions.
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
nhamilton
Can the conversion run with only the 5.0.2 backing store (and the 5.5.2 server, of course)? I was under the impression that it needed both iw-store and the mounted 5.0.2 IFS volume. If I can just supply the backing store, then I could probably get a copy of the 5.0.2 store to work with.
CrosstabAlternatingRowHighlight.rptdesign
Adam Stoller
I'm not sure - actually the more I think about it - the more I think it won't work. I believe the target server needs to be "down" and the source server needs to be "up" - so frankly you may not have a problem with respect to having your 5.0.2 server up - you'll just need to have the 5.5.2 server down and run the process from your 5.5.2 server so most of the CPU processing takes place there (though I believe there will still be some load on the 5.0.2 server)
Also - keep in mind that the conversion is done on editions - so you need to make sure you have editions on the 5.0.2 server to use for conversion.
If you don't care too much about history - you can convert between specific editions (e.g. the last two or three) rather than converting the entire backing store - which may help to significantly reduce the amount of time it takes to perform the conversion.
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
nhamilton
Thanks. I stopped TeamSite on the target server, and went ahead and started iwconvert. It's nearly finished with the editions for the first branch. (93 editions, so far about 530MB and 22,000 files converted after 3 hours)
I've encounted a couple of errors, but nothing that iwconvert flags as an error, mostly errors changing the submit time, which isn't important for us. The only thing that we're converting are old editions, as the current content was already migrated to our own 6.5 server. This will just take some time, as they specifically want all of the old editions for eight branches. Figured I'd update this thread with my steps in case anyone else gets stuck doing this in the future:
I mounted the NFS share of /iwserver on the target, shared out iw-store with 'share -o ro,anon=0 -F nfs /data/teamsite/local/iw-store' and mounted it on the target.
Then, stopped teamsite on the target, and ran "iwconvert -g -o /appl/iw-store/default -m /mnt/src-iwserver -n /mnt/iw-store/default -b //<server>/default/main/<branch> -d -s INITIAL -e <final edition>" (server, branch, and edition commented out)
I'm running the initial branch conversion myself to verify that it works, but will script out the remaining branch conversions. Since the source server is a shared environment, I wasn't able to freeze the store, and was not able to freeze for 'iwfsck -d' either. I don't recommend skipping this, but it's been OK so far, and is probably the only feasible way to convert this, as the server disappears next week.