Ask the Expert -EMC Documentum EPFM 1.7

Mabro
edited December 16, 2015 in Documentum #1

Welcome to the EMC Support Community Ask the Expert conversation.

This is an opportunity to learn and discuss the EMC Documentum Engineering Plant and Facilities Management (EPFM) Solution 1.7 release.
This discussion covers the announcement made via Momentum 2012.

This discussion begins on Monday, Feburary 4th and concludes on Feburary 8th. Get ready by bookmarking this page or signing up for email notifications.

Your host:

https://community.emc.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/102-21110-1-53635/155-142/Chris+Brighouse.jpg

Chris Brighouse is the Engineering Plant and Facilities Management (EPFM) Product Manager at EMC Corp.

In this role, he uses his extensive experience in enterprise software technology and industry consulting to build EMC products and solutions that address business and clients’ needs to market.

Previous to his Product Management role, Chris had extensive experience delivering projects with EMC in the Energy and Engineering sectors. 

Other roles held include Head of Professional Services EMEA at Sword CTSpace, CEO at Jario Ltd, and VP Applications at McLaren Ltd.

Mr. Brighouse resides in Surrey, United Kingdom, and enjoys new technology, 5-a-side football and flying. His Twitter handle is @chrisbrighouse.

Comments

• Mabro
    edited February 4, 2013 #2

This Ask the expert discussion is now open. We lookk forward to your questions and a great interactive discussion.

Cheers,

Mark

• gottis
    edited February 5, 2013 #3

Hello

I am trying to deploy the latest 1.7.019 and running into issues . Please assist.

1. The following when I try to run the configurator

C:\DCTM\EIF-MSSQL-1.7.019\utils\lib>java -cp "C:\Documentum\config;C:\DCTM\ecs_m

igration_lib.jar;C:\DCTM\EIF-MSSQL-1.7.019\utils\lib\ecs_framework_lib.jar;C:\DC

TM\EIF-MSSQL-1.7.019\utils\lib\ecsx_tools_lib.jar;C:\DCTM\EIF-MSSQL-1.7.019\util

s\lib\eif_lib.jar;C:\DCTM\EIF-MSSQL-1.7.019\utils\lib\jdom.jar;C:\DCTM\EIF-MSSQL

-1.7.019\utils\lib\poi-3.2-FINAL-20081019.jar;C:\DCTM\EIF-MSSQL-1.7.019\utils\li

b\serializer.jar;C:\DCTM\EIF-MSSQL-1.7.019\utils\lib\xalan.jar;C:\DCTM\EIF-MSSQL

-1.7.019\utils\lib\xercesImpl.jar;C:\DCTM\EIF-MSSQL-1.7.019\utils\lib\xpp3_min.j

ar;C:\DCTM\EIF-MSSQL-1.7.019\utils\lib\xstream.jar;C:\Program Files\Documentum\d

ctm.jar" com.documentum.ecs.migration.Importer testdocs67 dmadmin dmadmin C:\DCT

M\EIF-MSSQL-1.7.019\RepositoryConfig\install-eif-1.7.019-D6.7SP1\7-RefApp-Config

\03-eifdpc\eif_default_project_config-import-config.xml

09:34:42,136 FATAL [main] com.documentum.ecs.migration.Importer - Import Error!

EcsInvalidTypeException:: THREAD: main; MSG: Multiple ECS type definitions ecs_c

fg_type: ecsf0000000000000000000000009 found; ERRORCODE: ff; NEXT: null

at com.ecs.framework.library.EcsHelper.getEcsType(EcsHelper.java:642)

at com.ecs.framework.sbo.objectfactory.impl.EcsObjectFactoryHelper.insta

2. unable to attach the lifecycle and promote it:

Connected to Documentum Server running Release 6.7.1070.0146  Win32.SQLServer
    Session id is s0
    API> attach,s,090393748000d699,460393748000c393
    [DM_API_E_BADSESS]error:  "Bad session specifier s, try using current."

API> attach,c,090393748000d699,460393748000c393
    [DM_POLICY_E_EXIST_NO_BP_LOG]error:  "BP Log (C:\Documentum\dba\log\00039374\bp\
    bp_transition_0103937480006a82.out) was not created."

API> promote,c,090393748000d699
    [DM_POLICY_E_EXIST_NO_BP_LOG]error:  "BP Log (C:\Documentum\dba\log\00039374\bp\
    bp_transition_0103937480006a82.out) was not created."

3. Please see attached deply.log.

Thank you

• dnvhariprasad
    edited February 6, 2013 #4

Hi Mark & Chris,

Any tentative dateline for xCP2.0 integration?

• ricardoss
    edited February 6, 2013 #5

Hi MArk and Chris,

These are my questions about EPFM:

• xBS breakdown structures: there are many xBS types release in version 1.7 an 1.7 SP1 what about PBS module? when is it going to be released?
    • Are aspects supported by EPFM web client? I mean, If my aspect defines new attributes, should they be viewed on EPFM web client?

• The only way to instantiate a new EPFM project from an application Configuration is selecting Project Configuration Folder Type, which are the others types (Configuration Navigation Folder...) purpose?
    • I've seen in some sreenshoots that WBS, PBS... are displayed by different coloured icons (with name inside), Is it a standard configuration that provides this feature to these folders?

Thank u!

• mpraditt
    edited February 6, 2013 #6

Thank you for your posts! We hope to get back to you as soon as possible

• IvCh
    edited February 7, 2013 #7

Hello Mark,

from Spain, Stratesys Consulting, we are your partners and we want to download the EPFM solution, but it's not accesible for us, could you give us an URL to download the products? Thanks!

• ChrisBrighouse
    edited February 7, 2013 #8

Hi Gottis,

It is difficult to tell from this message what the problem is, it may be a problem with the system you are installing into or a problem with the configuration definition.  I can only recommend logging this with support to look into it in more detail.

Sorry I don't have an easy answer.

Regards

Chris

• ChrisBrighouse
    edited February 7, 2013 #9

Hi Rickardos,

re xBS structures, we don't plan to release any further pre-defined structures with EPFM 1.7sp1.  This feature isn't heavily used in EPFM we find, but some customers have defined their own structures to link documents to.  You may want to consider the Content Intelligence Services (CIS) accelerator for EPFM which allows you to construct taxonomies based on metadata.  Once defined the system automatically links documents into these structures.  The CIS services are included with the standard Documentum platform bundle.  The CIS accelerator can be found here: https://community.emc.com/docs/DOC-17886

The forthcoming EPFM for Asset Operations solution (Q2 2013) will support flexible facet based searching and will also include metadata for specific industry domains such as Gas Transmission, hydro-electric infrastructure with others being added over time.

Aspects will not automatically be picked up on the EPFM client.  In composer you can model them, but you would need to customize the UI components to show it.

All of the types in the project configuration serve some purpose (value assistance, document templates, etc.), the documentation should help understand what they all do.

The coloured icons for xBS are part  of the EPFM solution, it would be a customization to change them.

I hope this helps, thanks for the questions.

Regards

Chris

• ChrisBrighouse
    edited February 7, 2013 #10

Hi dnvhariprasad,

Although the current EPFM 1.7 is based on Webtop, it is possible to integrate to some extent with Documentum process engine activities through a wrapper which can expose xCP tasks in the EPFM task interface.

In the longer term we will release EPFM 2 which will be based on the xCP 2 platform.  This is currently set for Q1 2014 as there is still quite a bit of work to move everything over to the new paradigm.  It should result in a more powerful and flexible EPFM though!

Regards

Chris

• ChrisBrighouse
    edited February 7, 2013 #11

Hi,

Registered partners can download EPFM from Subscribenet.  Look for products under "Documentum Inc" and you should find EPFM.

There is a partner accreditation program for EPFM.  You need to pass this before you can sell EPFM or lead an implementation.  If you are interested in doing this, please contact Teri Goldy in the US:  teri.goldy@emc.com

Regards

Chris

• PMO_ZH
    edited February 7, 2013 #12

Hi Chris

I have a a question regarding email notification for tasks/transmittals.

Currently in these mails transmittal information are written. (e.g. Transmittal Number, Transmittal Type, Due Date, Issue Reason, etc.)

Is there also a possibility to add also document information to these notification mails. If no, is there a plan to extend the notification functionality to be able to also add document information, as this would be a crucial information to be able to use these notifications in a good way.

Thanks for a response and best regards

Patrizia

• ricardoss
    edited February 7, 2013 #13

Thanks Chris!

More questions about EPFM product:

Which is the best way to extend EPFM object model, extend from eifx_ , eif_, ecs_,... I mean... which one is considered as best practice. AFAIK eifx_ object types are custom types belong to intelligence framework, so extended from this type (eif_) would provide specific functionallity offered by this framework.

In EPFM Administration course, there is a practice that consists adding attributes to a custom eif object type, but I think adding all new objects attributes to the same type would probably be unmanageable and limits BOF framework.

Thanks in advance.

Ricardo.

• ChrisBrighouse
    edited February 8, 2013 #14

Hi Ricardoss

There is no right and wrong answer here, it all depends on what the customer want to do.

The eifx layer is a layer that we provide to customers that mirrors the types that we provide in the eif layer. The eif and ecs layers are not to be changed by customers (otherwise we cannot support them). We provide eifx as a way for customers to quickly and easily add new attributes to existing EPFM types. The way this works is we ship EPFM preconfigured to use the eifx layer but when we do upgrades we do not override this layer (as the customer might have changed it).

If the customer simply wants to add new attributes to pre-existing EPFM types then they should ADD the attributes to the corresponding eifx type. If the customer wants to add a completely new type then they have to EXTEND the most appropriate eif/ecs type based on their needs. The can use the eifx docapp project that we provide to add the new type if they wish. 

Regards

Chris

PS thanks to Simon O'Brien

• Mabro
    edited February 11, 2013 #15

This Event is now concluded. We'll be getting a summary from Chris on the high points of this discussion and then turn it over to the Documentum Forum to continue the discussion as a regular one.

Regards,

Mark

• Bruno87
    edited September 13, 2013 #16

Hello

I have made Distribution matrix, and fill it with three names.

After starting a review process I was supose to get an e-mail message from each person from distribution matrix with link to open in EPFM and log in as that particular person.

My problem is that I'm getting error:

Error reading list of users messages

Stack Trace:

com.documentum.xml.xalan.utils.WrappedRuntimeException: Error reading list of users messages

at com.eif.webtop.library.taskmanagement.TaskSummary.buildUsersTaskList(TaskSummary.java:344)

at com.eif.webtop.library.taskmanagement.TaskSummary.refreshTaskList(TaskSummary.java:355)

at com.eif.webtop.library.taskmanagement.TaskSummary.onInit(TaskSummary.java:193)

at com.documentum.web.form.FormProcessor.invokeMethod(FormProcessor.java:1615)

at com.documentum.web.form.FormProcessor.invokeMethod(FormProcessor.java:1500)

at com.documentum.web.form.FormProcessor.fireOnInitEvent(FormProcessor.java:1165)

at com.documentum.web.form.FormOperation.requestOnInitEvent(FormOperation.java:169)

at com.documentum.web.form.JumpOperation.execute(JumpOperation.java:113)

at com.documentum.web.form.FormProcessor.openForm(FormProcessor.java:221)

at com.documentum.web.form.WebformTag.doStartTag(WebformTag.java:127)

at org.apache.jsp.eif.library.taskmanagement.tasksummary_jsp._jspx_meth_dmf_005fwebform_005f0(tasksummary_jsp.java:1243)

I cant figure it out where is the problem..

Cheers

B

• PMO_ZH
    edited September 13, 2013 #17

Hi Bruno

One reason for this could be that a transmittal has been deleted which still has an open task.

To check if this is the reason you can run:

select * from eif_task where eif_subject_id not in (select r_object_id from eifx_transmittal)

A measurement would be to delete the task identified above. Then you should again see all task in the task component properly

Best regards

Patrizia

• Haroon_A
    edited November 11, 2013 #18

How does an action process (eif_action_process) is related to a document (eifx_deliverable_doc)? I wasn't able to find the relationship between these two. It's not through the dm_relation nor there's any reference in the action process type or deliverable doc type.

• vigupta12
    edited September 5, 2014 #19

Hi All,

I am working on EPFM 1.9 version. I have to create approximate 500 folders. Is there any way to create folder using bulk folder loading as as Document Loading?. In EPFM project area, Folder Loading option is there, but there is no option to create type and template for the same. Please suggest if there is any way to create folders using bulk folder loading.

Thanks!

• intelligen
    edited March 14, 2015 #20

Hi Vikas

In EPFM 1.7 it was possible to automatically create a set of sub-folders beneath the top level folder. By top level I mean the first folder within the EPFM project like this:

Cabinets

<EPFMProject>

Top Level Folder          Created from a template

Sub Folder A          Created as part of the above template

Sub Folder B          Ditto

Sub Folder C          Ditto

Unfortunately it usually means you are creating many folders which do not always have content (confusing for some users). If I recall correctly you set this up under the 01 Folders | 02 Templates area.

Note: It is very important to create the folder using the correct folder type. (I think it is folder type=Project Folder.) There is also an upper limit to the total amount of folders you can create, but you may not hit that for several years.

Let me know if you are still stuck with this as I have notes I can dig out and send you.

John

• Haroon_A
    edited March 16, 2015 #21

Using Report Accelerator, is it possible to create a report [result in XLS format], and have the output in two tabs/sheets of excel document? i.e. the first tab would be a summary, and the second tab details? I understand we can have a summary section in the report, where the header can be displayed once, and then the details section. I am looking for a way to output this summary section in one tab and the result of the report in second tab. Thanks.

• cmaconsult
    edited December 16, 2015 #22

lol