We're currently running TS 6.5 SP2 on Win2K3. Here is the situation I'm looking for input on:
We have a branch called "enews". This branch was created for generic e-newsletters that various lines of business will be creating to send to external customers (opt-in lists; this isn't spam!

). A workarea was created, a DCT and TPL developed, and all of this is presented through our company portal (Plumtree) via a portlet I wrote using .Net and the CSSDK 2.0. When a user creates a new e-newsletter they are presented with the DCT, they fill it out, save it, and it's automatically submitted to a workflow which generates the HTML, places the resulting HTML on a server where Microsoft's Commerce Server picks it up to email out to the external customers. That's all there is to the workflow - they didn't want any approval steps or anything like that so it's dead simple.
When we originally set this up only one line of business was interested - Fine Paper. OK, so far so good. Now other lines of business are looking at sending out e-newsletters. The various lines of business don't want to see each other's e-newsletters so somehow we need to separate these out.
As I see it, we have a few options for how to do this and I'd like to elicit some input on which option would be best. Also, if there are other ways I should be looking at approaching this I'd be interested to hear them.
1) Create a separate workarea for each line of business. I hesitate to do this because I believe (I'm more of a TS developer than a TS administrator) that this would require maintaining the DCT and TPL in each of these workareas we create. I'd like to keep maintenance centralized if possible.
2) When displaying the existing e-newsletters in the portlet, filter out the e-newsletters by User ID. If I go with the User ID that created the e-newsletter I kill collaboration because a user will only see their e-newsletters and not those created by other members of their team.
3) When displaying the existing e-newsletters in the portlet, filter out the e-newsletters by group. If I go with a group, how do I assign this group to the DCRs created? I can see in the properties of a DCR that there is a group, but it's always empty. If I could somehow assign the group that the user belongs to at the time of creation, I could easily filter on this for display in the portal.
Any thoughts, ideas, critiques would be appreciated. Thanks!
Darryl Lutherdarryl.luther@weyerhaeuser.comSenior Web Analyst
Weyerhaeuser