Architecture of Load Balancer with content server and configuring it

Mayur_shivs
edited April 10, 2013 in Documentum #1

Hello

I need to implement load balancer, i have try to find how does load balancer works with content server but there is less information available regarding it,

so if anybody knows about load balancer with content server and its configuration please describe

Regards

Tagged:

Comments

• FabianLee-EMC
    edited April 10, 2013 #2

What are you really trying to achieve?  Are you trying to balance the incoming DFC client connections among multiple Content Server instances? 

Have you tried the dfc.properties key "dfc.session.load_balance_strategy"?

• Mayur_shivs
    edited April 10, 2013 #3

i want to implement content server load balancing

also how can i get this

Documentum content server IP address and Load Balancer IP address

• FabianLee-EMC
    edited April 10, 2013 #4

Please read the "Distributed Configuration Guide", available on Powerlink. 

You probably don't need a load balancer.  If you have two Content Server instances (each running a docbroker), then have your DFC clients list both docbroker hosts and use a balanced strategy, then the load will be divided between the Content Servers. 

• Haroon_A
    edited April 10, 2013 #5

@Fabian - using Distributed config, can we achieve HA as well, since the data is distributed amongst the content servers? Or it's solely for LB purposes?

• FabianLee-EMC
    edited April 10, 2013 #6

Yes, it is an active-active HA configuration.  The dfc.properties has references to two different hosts, so if one docbroker/CS host goes down, the DFC switches to using the other host.

• Haroon_A
    edited April 10, 2013 #7

My understanding is --please correct me if I am wrong-- each content server stores content locally on their respective hosts where they are running, i.e CS1 on Host1 stores content on Host1, and similarly CS2 on Host2 stores content on Host2. Now, if CS2 is unreachable, how can a client request is served, asking for a content which is stored on Host2 by CS2?

• FabianLee-EMC
    edited April 10, 2013 #8

@Ahmad - when you have two CS instances, the filestores are configured so that both CS instances access the same content. 

For example, under Windows you might have filestore_01 located at the UNC share \\mysharedserver\documentum\data\filestore01 and now both of your Content Servers would have access to the shared location on the mysharedserver host.

• Haroon_A
    edited April 10, 2013 #9

Fabian Lee, EMC wrote:

@Ahmad - when you have two CS instances, the filestores are configured so that both CS instances access the same content.

I noticed --at least in earlier versions (6.5) that is-- that running (dm_launch_cfs_server_config_program.sh) as opposed to (dm_launch_server_config_program.sh) on the secondary CS, will create a separate data directory on the second CS host, where the content will be stored using the secondary CS process, hence the content is distributed.

Using other methods, I did use to create one single 'data' directory (on a shared location) reachable by both CS hosts, where they can share the same content (LB and HA).

I was specifically referring to the "Distributed config" where second CS is created using (dm_launch_cfs_server_config_program.sh) according to guide.

• FabianLee-EMC
    edited April 10, 2013 #10

Make sure the filestore of the first primary CS instance already points to a shared location (e.g. \\myfileshare\documentum\data) and I believe you will see a different behavior, and the new secondary CS instance will then point to the same shared location.