Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
Error Handling on a PERL script
System
I have a PERL script that takes information entered into a template and generates it into XML. The problem we are having is that the template has an ID. There cannot be duplicate ID's entered or information on the site will get messed up. I added a sub procedure to the perl script comparing all the ID's to make sure duplicates don't exist I was wondering if their was a way to either stop the generation, or throw an error so the user would know the files cannot be generated because there is a duplicate ID entered. Is this possible? Or is there a better way to go about doing this?
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
jbonifaci
Well, you need to provide more information about the context in which your perl script is being called. Also, how is the id being created? If it is user entered, as it sounds, is there a reason it needs to be entered by the user? Why not just generate it for them and then you don't have to worry about duplicates?
~Jeff
kaalraa
I am a little confused as why the programming Gurus had invented the logic of Sequence or Identity generation in DB? Is there any specific need as why you want an entered ID rather than a sequentially generated ID.
~ aks
chuckles
Or a UUID for that matter?
http://search.cpan.org/~agolomsh/Data-UUID-0.11/UUID.pm