Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
Distributing a TeamSite application as a package.
dazzlad
Hello all,
This is just a request for input rather than a specific question.
I have been asked to look into creating a post install script that installs a TeamSite configuration from a package file.
It should be cross platform and able to do the following:
Create (local) users and groups - and add users to TeamSite roles.
Create branching structure (inlcuding workareas) with appropriate permissions.
Place an initial set of resource files into workareas (js, images etc).
Create templatedata folders and DCT's.
Copy customizations under iw-home (CGI's, WFT's, .PM's, FormAPI js, VF JS etc).
Modify config files to reflect customizations (templating.cfg, iw.cfg, available_templates.cfg, email_map.cfg etc).
Customise ContentCenter UI and rebuild appropriate webapps.
Backup any files that are modified during this process.
I'd like to include rollback, but maybe it will come further down the line.
I'd also like to consider configuration of OD and other products, but not just yet.
I would like this to run without any required software other than TeamSite 6.5SP2.
The script is intended to be ran post install only and not on a *mature* TeamSite server.
If anyone has any input on the following then it would be much appreciated:
1. Has anything been developed to do any of the above - if so is it freely available?
2. Does anyone have any ideas of a commercial build tool that might be a good option (bear in mind, i want this to run if a user has only installed TeamSite).
3. Does IWOV have a policy on customizations being relesed in to the public domain. I have one or two people who may want to help contribute to this as a project.
4. Any thoughts on Integrating the backups of modified files with Source control to facilitate configuration rollback at a later stage - CVS, SVN or even a TeamSite branch.
The only assumptions I am running with so far are:
- The script will be Perl and the package will be a zip file. (use Archive::Zip)
- The zip file will contain some XML files that describe users, groups and branching structure.
- for xml config files such as templating.cfg, the customization fragment will be stored in the package zip and merged into the versions on the server.
- for CGI, PM, WFT files will be copied directly to their locations from the package.
That's about it.
Thanks very much for any thoughts.
Darren.
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
skip11
Hi,
First, it might be nice to know what OS this will be delivered to.
I assume Windows, but if it's
Solaris, then a Solaris package can be created easily to do the job. Solaris packages allow for
an actions to execute pre and post to the install and pre and post to the deinstall. I wrote a package
ages ago that used .ksh and perl to completely configure TeamSite after the core was installed.
Users, roles, email_map, config for OD, DD, branches and some content were delivered with one
package which made the system fully functional when installed.
Regards,
R.Barger
Credit Suisse Group
Zurich, Switzerland
dazzlad
Ah yes, I should have mentioned. It needs to be Windows and Solaris!
Darren.