Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
Source Code Tool Required or Not?
System
Best Practice Use of OpenDeploy
If we are going to use OpenDeploy for code migrations but many applications today do not use a source code tool (e.g. teamsite, CVS etc) can we configure OpenDeploy in such a way as a source code tool is not required. (is this even recommended?)
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
Adam Stoller
If you're asking whether not using a version management system for your source code falls under "best practice" - I think the answer is, obviously, "no".
If you're asking whether OpenDeploy can somehow be used to provide a sense of version management for this applications - the answer is, I believe, "yes / sort of" - via "Control Hub" - however I don't really have experience with this additional product functionality for OD so someone else will have to provide the information. However, you'd still be better off (regardless of whether you use Control Hub) getting all the source code put into a version management system (TeamSite, CVS, whatever).
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
Bill Klish
I would say no. OpenDeploy just takes things from point A to point B. If you want to be able to rollback or retrieve prior history, OpenDeploy needs another application to provide that (i.e. cvs, pvcs, etc.). I would recommend working one of the SCM tools into your application architecture.