Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
Files from wftask getting added back to parent
Bill Klish
TeamSite 6.5 SP1
Windows 2003
I have a fairly simple workflow that kicks off a child workflow to handle reviews of content. For example, the parent workflow has a DCR and a corresponding HTML file attached to it. The files are then copied into some other branches as part of some other work being performed. Once into the other branches, reviewers are notified that the files are there for their review. Once reviewed and approved, the child workflow completes, and control resumes in the parent.
I am dynamically creating the xml that will be used for the workflow and it is instantiated automatically when it gets to the child workflow.
The last step before the end task sends a notification to the instantiator of the parent workflow that all work has been completed. The weird thing is that there are more than 2 files now attached to the parent workflow/notification. The problem is, those paths from the child are valid only in the other areas (branches) and not in the area where the parent workflow started. Is this normal behavior to have the child files show up in the parent?
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
kaalraa
Hi,
The issue you have asked for is a normal behaviour as the files attached in parent workflow remains the part of parent workflow only. As a solution i suggest you to create your child workflow through WFconstructor.pm so that you can pass on the files as a workflow variable to that dynamically created Job spec File.
- AKs.... The Shadow
Bill Klish
Not quite sure I follow. The extra files (added only in the child workflow) are what I don't want to appear back in the parent. When i dynamically build the xml for the job spec, I add these new files in the <files> section of the start task in the sub workflow. Is that not what I am supposed to do?
Also, this solution is 100% Java, so WFConstructor.pm is not something I want to pursue. I am able to generate the job spec fairliy easily and the sub workflow works correctly. It is just problematic if a user were to click on the file link in the work complete email and get an error message that the file does not exist.
ruler
Please post the code for your workflow instantiator so that w better understand the process have adopted. We are doing something very similar and it works fine for us.
Adam Stoller
I'm a bit confused here
- is the email being sent from the child workflow or from the parent workflow?
- is the child workflow showing both sets of files or is the parent workflow showing both sets of files?
What you could do - in a customized version of the email script (or script that sends email, depending on how you want to word it) is to verify that all files attached to the task exist within the task's areavpath - and if not, remove them - perhaps temporarily from the task, or just when you're generating the list of files to show links for in the email. If it was a temporary removal, remember to add them back afterwards.
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
Bill Klish
Email is being sent from the parent workflow when the child completes. Somehow the child files are being added back to the parent. I could add in logic that checks within the template, just seemed like I must be doing something wrong for the child files to appear in the parent.
Adam Stoller
My guess is that it's a built-in "feature" to add child workflow files back to the parent - but I haven't used wftasks too often and not in quite some time, so I'm not positive about that. (although, apparently from your experience that is what it is doing)
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
Bill Klish
The oddest thing is those files don't exist in the area, so there must be no checking going on, but rather just a transfer of paths. I would think that attempting to add a file to a workflow that didn't exist would cause issues, but I suppose only if I was trying to get a lock on the file. It does seem strange that it is possible for the workflow engine to think there are files attached when there aren't any.
I suppose I will open a support case and see what can be made of it.