Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
more Solaris Q's
nipper
Wel, things are moving nicely on the Sun Ultra Enterprise I bought from ebay.
Since it only had about 10 GB of disk, I purchased 40 GB more & need to add it.
Are there still jumpers that determine the SCSI address ?
When I reboot the system, how do I mount the disks ? In my old SunOS days, you would
run newfs on the disk and mount the physical disk on a mount point. How different is it now ?
If I decide to change processors, (I have 2 200 MHZ processors with 512 MB), how can I determine
how fast the board will go ? I should be able to add more memory, & will look when I open the box to install the disks.
Thanks
Andy
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
skip11
Hi nipper,
Usually a UE2 will come with an Ultra Bay configuration. Internal disks (2 max) slide into place in the
bay on the side of the box by way of a bracket attached to the disk.
To add a new disk is quite simple, and I don't believe jumpering is necessary. Insert the disk with the
system powered off. Power up and hit the keys stop and a. Hold down stop and then hit a. This will
bring the system to the prom.You will see an prompt: ok> next type boot -rv. the -r switch is reconfigure,
-v is verbose. this will add the devices for the new disk. if you can't get the system into the prom, boot it
to multiuser, and as root type drvconfig and then disks. this will also add the devices. Next you will
want to partition the new disk. run format as root and select the new disk. man format is your friend.
I suggest NOT using parition 2 - the whole disk, but use 0,1,3 etc. After partitioning, a label will be written
to the disk. Use newfs to make the filesystems. Next edit (vi is best) /etc/vfstab and put in the filesystems
you created with newfs. This will allow them to be mounted at boot. After adding the entries to vfstab,
type mount -a and ignore any messages pertaining to currently mounted filesystems. run df -k to see newly
mounted filesystems. Make sure you create the mount points first before running mount -a - errors will
come from mount not finding a place to mount the fs on.
UE2 supports up to 2x400mhz processors, you won't be able to go higher than that. To see the current
hardware config type as root /usr/platform/sun4u/sbin/prtdiag. this will show the processor speed, memory,
and other diag.
hope all this helps, ping me offline from here for anything else.
regards,
R.Barger
Credit Suisse Group
Zurich, Switzerland