Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
TS does what I want right out of the box... trend?
System
Okay, so what's the deal with so many people lately posting messages about wanting/expecting custom functionality from TeamSite right out of the box? I've noticed this more and more lately -- I figure it might be one of two things:
1. Interwoven's sales people have become a bit rash lately and have perhaps overpromised on TS' capabilities.
2. There's a lot more TS-related work now and organizations are scraping up naive and/or lazy people to do that work, some of whom have posted their messages here either asking directly for someone else to do the work for them or whining about some custom feature not being available right out of the box.
Thoughts?
Dave
Environments:
(1,2) TS6.5, TS6.5SP1 on W2K3
(3) Vignette V7 Portal on Solaris 9
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
chuckles
I vote #1. I work for a public organization and have been asked for advice from other public organizations who are considering doing their own TeamSite implementations and the business analysts and project managers tend to have an overly rosy idea of how easy it is to get up and running with TeamSite. Case in point, look at this link and read the captioned quote from the manager
http://www.informationweek.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=170701787
. The power of TeamSite is in it's flexibility and it's blank slate approach that lets a team of skilled developers churn out a heavily customized CMS without having to re-invent the wheel for versioning, templating, etc. From a developer point of view, I think this is great, but I am guessing it is a hard sell to businesses. In my experience, COTS (complete-off-the-shelf) packages almost never deliver on their promises and cause more headaches than they save, but they sure make great sales pitches.
Migrateduser
Good point and good read, thanks... but, knowing what I do about other (competing) products, I strongly feel that Interwoven's is the most flexible and requires the least amount of reverse engineering. However, it's dangerous to perceive that TeamSite will do ANYTHING right out of the box... let's face it, it doesn't. It needs customization to do anything meaningful and the number of so-called technical people who have posted these messages lately is frightening -- and encouraging, for job security's sake!
Dave
Environments:
(1,2) TS6.5, TS6.5SP1 on W2K3
(3) Vignette V7 Portal on Solaris 9
Migrateduser
I also vote #1, but I don't see it as a recent thing. It's been going on for years. I have personally sat in meetings where Interwoven is presenting to my management and I'm there by request of my management to keep Interwoven sales in check. They ALWAYS show what can be done and rarely say, "This requires customization." I'm not going to go so far as to say it's dishonest, but it is definitely misleading.
- Jason
awizardly
The reality of the situation in regards to the Information week article about Chrysler Group Web sites is that they were done in InterWoven, but like in all TS implementations, there have been heavy customizations. It's interesting to see that article, because like alot of marketing and PR articles it kind of needs to be taken with a grain of salt. Anyone who believes everything in those articles is setting themselves up for a shock when the product actually arrives and is installed.
The fact that Avenue A/Razorfish and Trilogy were attributed to having done the work is in fact not the whole truth.
Avenue A/Razorfish did the original installation. Trilogy works on the J2EE Application side of the sites. Organic has done almost all of the templating/workflow CMS development as well as branch design for the Chrysler Group Sites, and other projects that they have mentioned.
I can tell you that as part of the development team for the sites that there have been heavy customizations to TeamSite. Complex workflows, Complex Templates, work with CGI's and WebServices to create custom interfaces. So in short the implementation is pretty typical of other TS projects. Alot of heavy customization built upon a great foundation of tools provided by TeamSite.
It's always interesting to see how Marketing Managers spin things. Don't believe everything you read. Hopefully the people who really know should understand this principle. Because everything you read on the Internet is true right?
Lee
Organic Inc
http://www.organic.com
Migrateduser
Oh, I've seen that, too. I don't think there are too many people here on DevNet who haven't gotten dizzy from the sales spin that Interwoven spews, but what I'm referring to is a recent phenomenon -- or, at least from my perspective. I don't doubt there's some of #1 but I'd be willing to say that there's some of #2 in there, as well.
How many times do companies buy some $$$ software product and don't know how to use it or implement it, especially with all of the excess capital companies have these days (i.e., 2005+, reminiscent of what we saw 5-7 years ago). So, they hire people, put them through minimal training, and impose heavy requirements on them. If this is the case, you can't really blame the newbies... but I guess I do, anyway
Dave
Environments:
(1,2) TS6.5, TS6.5SP1 on W2K3
(3) Vignette V7 Portal on Solaris 9
reddyl
There should be a "TeamSite - Newbie" forum similar to "Linux - Newbie" forum on
www.linuxquestions.org
so that people how want to learn TeamSite can post questions to these forum.
There should be also "TeamSite - Solutions" forum were developers could contribute sample code that others could leverage and improve these solutions.
~ Reddy
Edited by reddyl on 01/11/06 12:51 PM (server time).
Migrateduser
Do you think that the "TeamSite - Newbie" forum would really garner as much traffic as "Linux - Newbie"? Naaah, I think DevNet is just fine for people but in our field (and I'm not referring to the field that is referenced in my DevNet user profile), it's typical that people learn by (a) reading and (b) a copious amount of trial and error. TeamSite is no different.
Environments:
(1,2) TS6.5, TS6.5SP1 on W2K3
(3) Vignette V7 Portal on Solaris 9