how to change the primary rendition or a document

Options
BhavikShah
edited March 23, 2016 in Documentum #1

Hi All,

We have loaded multiple format of the document as rendition and sometimes the primary content type is not pdf but it is stored as secondary rendition of the object.  We would like to make PDF (if it exist) as primary and the other content type (if exist) as secondary. 

How do I achieve that?

Thanks

Comments

• AshishSrivastava
    edited March 9, 2016 #2
    Options

Hi Bhavik,

I faced similar issue and many times primary rendition was coming as pdf which was just opposite to what we expected.

- Refer the link for EMC Support answers(not a solution), then my final solution, 

Original Implementation was discussed in the thread

Let me know if it helps or resolves your query

Kind Regards,

Ashish Srivastava

• BhavikShah
    edited March 9, 2016 #3
    Options

HI Ashish,

Thanks for the reply.  The discussion talked about exporting the rendition.  My requirement is:  We already have two or more type of content associated with the object

for e.g The object_name: SOP will have two types of content PDF and Word associated with it.  one of them will be primary and the other is PDF.

I want to change the PDF to be primary and the other to be secondary rendition

• AshishSrivastava
    edited March 9, 2016 #4
    Options

Hope it helped to get the basic understanding. Let me explain again,

There is nothing as primary or secondary rendition. It is all how you name it.

EMC code iterates through the collection returned using IDfSysObject.getRenditions API

The first item returned is rendition[1], second is rendition[2] and so on so forth.

Many times it happens is that the word document may contain too many images inserted or any other objects so it takes time to generate the rendition. Whatever post processing you need to do on renditions - you can do by getting the rendition object using above API and then checking the a_content_type of it.

Coming back to your requirement - I do not know why you want to make the PDF rendition as primary but if you want to do it for view purpose ( if you want to show PDF rendition when user views the document after rendition is generated) this can be done easily via a small customization ). This was implemented in one of my projects

Please mark the post helpful or answered it it was the case

Kind Regards,

Ashish Srivastava

• AshishSrivastava
    edited March 9, 2016 #5
    Options

Actually it is a configuration if you want the rendition to be viewed as preferred rendition

Refer this thread and Saqib Sami's response

Kind Regards,

Ashish Srivastava

• AshishSrivastava
    edited March 22, 2016 #6
    Options

Hi Bhavik,

Let us know if your question is answered now

Kind Regards,

Ashish Srivastava

• DCTM_Guru
    edited March 23, 2016 #7
    Options

"There is nothing as primary or secondary rendition. It is all how you name it."

- This statement is not correct.  The primary rendition is the rendition that is associated with the dm_sysobject.  This rendition is "served up" when you want to getfile (for viewing or editing) without specify a specific rendition.  Webtop does this unless you override the behavior by configuring a "preferred" rendition.

See this thread on how to set primary rendition:

• AshishSrivastava
    edited March 23, 2016 #8
    Options

Hi Johnny,

You might be correct. I was told by support that the content associated with dm_sysobject is  termed as original content (in my case the word document) and the pdf generated is the rendition.

I would definitely like to agree with you as that is the version I told before getting the above answer but what support told also looks correct ( it is more of the language to be used while explaining the problem)

In any case, above links should help Bhavik getting the solution to his problem

Kind Regards,

Ashish Srivastava

• DCTM_Guru
    edited March 23, 2016 #9
    Options

I agree that this may be semantics, but your description of what support said is even more confusing.

The original content associated with dm_sysobject actually shows up if you click view all renditions in Webtop, so from my perspective, everything is a "rendition" and primary rendition is the one associated with dm_sysobject.