How do I recover from a stuck startup of demo-server?

JasonInSD
edited June 21, 2017 in Documentum #1

I'm looking for help from anyone who knows what I should do to get the demo-server running.  Here's the background:

I downloaded the vmx and vmdk demo-server of the developer edition of Documentum, "CS D7.1".  After deploying it in vCenter, I signed in, followed the steps in ~dmadmin/ReadMe.txt, and when I run ./documentum.sh it hangs at "docbrocker is starting---".

When I try to pull up the http://demo-server:8080/da/ page, I see the following (click on image to zoom in).

Is this demo VM not really ready out of the box?  I tried to start up services individually, as detailed in the ReadMe.txt, but that didn't help.

Screen Shot 2016-03-17 at 10.57.10 AM.png

Thanks.

Jason

Tagged:

Comments

• NicolasRaoul
    edited June 21, 2017 #2

Hello Jason,

The exact same problem happens to me every time my IP address changes. This is typical of a DNS problem.

When trying to start, Documentum tries to connect to itself using its configured server name, and if it fails to connect it just hangs forever showing this rather unhelpful message "docbrocker is starting---" (sic)

SOLUTION:

1) As root, run ifconfig to know what your machine's IP address is. Let's say it is 192.168.0.77

2) Still as root, open /etc/hosts and add the following line:  192.168.0.77 demo-server

3) Interrupt the failed documentum.sh

4) Shut down what is left of Documentum

5) Start again. This time it should start correctly, like this:

docbrocker is starting---

starting connection broker on current host: [demo-server]

with connection broker log: [/opt/dctm/dba/log/docbroker.demo-server.1489.log]

connection broker pid: 5956

documentum is starting...

Hope this helps,

Nicolas Raoul