show only specific Cabinets on a specific D2 Workspace

Options
cchop
edited April 13, 2017 in Documentum #1

Hi

I have created an application and workspace to use.

I have created a Widget - BrowserWidget

If we don't specify a starting path, the complete repository Cabinet list is displayed.

If I specify a Cabinet/Folder in the starting path parameters, only the subfolders in the path are displayed.

I need to display multiple folder paths from different cabinets or in other words , I need to display only couple different Cabinets.

Is there a way we can achieve this for a D2 application\workspace ?

I cannot use is_private to hide the cabinets because I need those cabinets to be available for other users and applications.

Please let me know.

Tagged:

Comments

• DCTM_Guru
    edited April 11, 2017 #2
    Options

I'm not sure if this is possible for D2 browser widget.  That being said, Webtop is very extensible and you can set is_private=T to hide the cabinets in D2 and then customize Webtop to ignore this setting.

• cchop
    edited April 11, 2017 #3
    Options

Thanks Johnny. If I hide the Cabinets, I'll be hiding it from all D2 users, correct? but my requirement is to be able to hide by D2 workspace\application. Is it not possible in D2?

So, If I have a group of users who will be accessing an Application D2X I built on D2 and want them to see only 3 Cabinets A,B,C and I create another application D2Y and want the users of D2Y to see A,B, D cabinets?

Is that not possible in D2?

• DCTM_Guru
    edited April 11, 2017 #4
    Options

You are correct, it will be hidden to all users.  Another approach is potentially creating links from all the folders of each cabinet to "subfolder" that would be mapped to your Workspace and set the path to this subfolder for your workspace.

This might give some more flexibility from a viewing perspective.

• cchop
    edited April 11, 2017 #5
    Options

Thanks for the reply Johnny. The problem is-in our case we have same name folders in different cabinets under a different business segment.

say for example:

/CabinetX/folderA/folderRTM

/CabinetY/folderB/folderRTM

/CabinetZ/folderC/folderD/folderRTM

If I create something like /Links/Link1 ,  how can I link the 3 sub folders above into Link1 as they all have same name?

• DCTM_Guru
    edited April 11, 2017 #6
    Options

You link the immediate folder from the cabinet, so folderA from CabinetX:

/CabinetX/folderA

would be linked to various workspaces

/CabinetX/WorkspaceX/folderA

/CabinetX/WorkspaceY/folderA

Any subfolders underneath folder A would still be the same.  WorkspaceX folder would be acting like your "pseudo" cabinet.

• cchop
    edited April 11, 2017 #7
    Options

Johnny , Thanks again for the response.

There could be other subfolders that we don't want to share. So, linking the immediate folder may not work for us. Don't you think so?

Say in this case

/CabinetX/folderA/folderRTM

/CabinetY/folderB/folderRTM

/CabinetZ/folderC/folderD/folderRTM

In addition to above, If there are other folders as:

/CabinetX/folderA/folderPRV

/CabinetY/folderB/folderOPS

I want to the group to access only folderRTM from the first 3 paths.

If I link the immediate folder folderA, then they will be able to see both folderRTM and folderPRV but I don't want them to see folderPRV.

Am I missing something?, does my question make sense?

• Mayur_shivs
    edited April 11, 2017 #8
    Options

Hi,

If in your case it would have been single D2 application, Then you would have been able to achieve it using D2 plugin by extending D2BrowserService.

But as you have multiple D2 applications and we cannot get application specific handle in Plugin. This cannot be achieved using D2 Plugin.

Regards

Mayur

• cchop
    edited April 12, 2017 #9
    Options

Thank You. Its good to know there is a way If D2 is used for only one application front end to users.

Did you get it working on your end ?

• DCTM_Guru
    edited April 13, 2017 #10
    Options

"I want to the group to access only folderRTM from the first 3 paths.If I link the immediate folder folderA, then they will be able to see both folderRTM and folderPRV but I don't want them to see folderPRV."

- This is entirely different from you original request of hiding the cabinet ONLY for a workspace.  If you want to only make folders available to specific users/groups, then you can do this by modifying the ACL/permissions for those folders.  If you want the ACL to specific to workspace, then you are really going beyond the design of workspace and security.

Look into dynamic groups.  This will allow you to dynamically create groups and assign users to those groups based on the application.