Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
Backups on 4.5 SP2
Phead2
Just upgraded, I've noticed that backup db file size is much smaller than when we were using 4.0. The file used to be the same size as the actual sql db.
Just wondering if this was anything to be concerened about (or what the reason for the difference is)...
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
lyman
I don't know that I have come across this observation but possibly it may have to do with the fact that as of 4.5 all text table fields are unicode and therefore twice as big and possibly the backup software sees them as compressible.
The only other explanation I can think of is that the backup settings somehow think they are running an incremental.
Probably nothing to be concerned about but I might be paranoid enough to restore to a temporary database just to be sure it is usable as designed. I would rather be having this discussion now rather than in a diaster recovery scenario.
Cheers,
Lyman Hurd
Phead2
I am having some problems doing a test restore. I setup MB on another server and copied the 'Full' backup directory from the production system to the test repository. I get the following error(s) when running MBRestore.exe FULL /u sa /p passwordforsa:
Device activation error. The physical file name 'C:\Program Files\Microso\test db_Data.mdf' may be incorrect.
File 'production db_Data' cannot be restored to 'C:\Program Files\Microso\test db_Data.mdf' . Use WITH MOVE to identify a valid location for the file.
Device activation error. The physical file name 'C:\Program Files\Microso\test db_Log.ldf' may be incorrect.
File 'production db_log' cannot be restored to 'C:\Program Files\Microso\test db_Log.ldf' . Use WITH MOVE to identify a valid location for the file.
In the past I have restored backups this way with no issue, accoring to the docs it's still the same... Any idea what's wrong here? Does the test systems's db and db file names need to be exactly the same as the original systems (we have changed it from 'MediaBin Repository')?
lyman
I would consult with your DBA but here is some documenttation on moving backups.
http://searchsqlserver.techtarget.com/tip/1,289483,sid87_gci1102260_tax301326,00.html?adg=301324&bucket=ETA
Cheers,
Lyman Hurd