Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
Spyware in Downloaded Files (from IW support ? )
nipper
I downloaded this file from support: IWOVts-win-6.7.0.0-Build56009
It is sitting on my desktop (Win XP)
Modified: Wednesday, April 05, 2006, 1:17:26 PM
Created: Wednesday, April 05, 2006, 11:19:19 AM
Size: 2.97 KB (3,043 bytes)
No information in the summary about the file.
Thing is, I cannot delete it, rename it, move it, anything.
I get Error Trying to Delete file, it is in use by another person or program.
I have tried to boot up in safe mode without networking and delete this sucker. Same result.
Did spyware somehow insert itself in a download ?
Any ideas ? On Unix I could boot from a CD and mount the disk and delete it. Don't know if I can do that here. Cannot boot a second disk on my laptop.
Thanks
me
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
Migrateduser
Try deleting the file from MS DOS prompt.
TestReport.rptdesign
nipper
no luck, can I boot XP up into DOS mode ? Ideas how ?
Migrateduser
Hit F8 during bootup and choose Command Line Only (or some similar name). If that doesn't work, you might try booting from a rescue disk, mounting the fs, and seeing if you can delete it that way.
Migrateduser
Did the download of the exe file complete? We have verified that there is no spyware payload from our ESD download servers. What does your spyware/virus scanner say about the file? If you don't have one, try Trend Micro's free online scanner:
http://www.trendmicro.com/hc_intro/default.asp
If that doesn't do it, you might want to see what processes may be locking the file:
http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/ProcessExplorer.html
nipper
Neither Adaware nor Spybot have spotted anything. It just behaves like a spyware, cause I cannot delete it. I am going to try hijackthis this weekend.
Based on the size, I assume the download did not complete. Just what is keeping it open ?
Migrateduser
Check out the tools from Sysinternals. Try Filemon, or maybe Movefile.
http://www.sysinternals.com
DJ_At_Work
can you rename the file?
nipper
can you rename the file?
nope, tried that, but I did get it removed with the program referenced earlier, movefile from sysinternals.