... I'm having issues obviously with image links etc... I have corporate images stored in the top level branch workarea, which are pulled in a component TPL. This component TPL is "included" (iw_pt include call) in a sub-branch TPL... the images are obvsiously broken, since they are relative to the containing workarea...Just wondering if anyone has any advice, guidance on whether or not I'm on the right path and if this is common practice...This is a very broad subject, hopefully I've provided enough context for my situation.. if not please let me know and I will try to clarify...Thanks
Thanks Fish. From what I see, iwproxy_remap is key, the caveat is it only works on the default content store...
/iwmount/store/main/...
/iwmount/another-store/main/...
default
Again, my thinking around the branching structure was to build a hierarchy, using a parent branch and sub-branches. Each level representing a level in our organization so we can apply styling guidelines and controls. For now, each branch only has one workarea... I don't think we want to get into parallel content development and resolving conflicts in the staging area...
htdocs/- global_images/- global_css/...- department-1/-- images/-- css/...- department-2/-- images/-- css/...
data/
workarea/- hr/-- html-pages-- subdirs-with other html-pages- news/-- html-pages-- subdirs-with other html-pages...- templatedata/category/data-type/data/-- hr/--- DCRs--- subdirs-with other DCRs-- news/...
I don't have a system to play with right now - but I'm not sure that limitation is real.
Can't get VMWare running on your Commadore 64 huh ? Oh, thats right, you have a Mac. A different toy computer. :-)
I Furthermore - when you work with templating, remember to create a directory structure under the data/ directory that maps 1:1 with the content directory structure that appears either from the root of your workarea or within a sub-directory thereof that acts as-if it were the docroot. i.e.:workarea/- hr/-- html-pages-- subdirs-with other html-pages- news/-- html-pages-- subdirs-with other html-pages...- templatedata/category/data-type/data/-- hr/--- DCRs--- subdirs-with other DCRs-- news/...This kind of correlation of directory structures will make so many things so much easier.
Thanks Fish. I agree with that approach, and was kind of heading in that direction. Just keeping it simple is usually the best option.We were told by a consultant that the internal TS structure did not have to "match" or correlate to the external (generated) public facing structure, the two could be different, so that the internal structure could be modeled best for internal authors, based on the organizational structure, and but be represented differently for the public-facing website.Personally, I don't think the public cares much about URLs, as long as the content is displayed and organized appropriately.If I understand correctly, although the above is "possible", it would be a mess of proxy redirects and mappings, and most likely complicate the workflow and deployment process... too much complexity and not much value-added...
If I understand correctly, although the above is "possible", it would be a mess of proxy redirects and mappings, and most likely complicate the workflow and deployment process... too much complexity and not much value-added...
We were told by a consultant that the internal TS structure did not have to "match" or correlate to the external (generated) public facing structure, the two could be different, so that the internal structure could be modeled best for internal authors, based on the organizational structure, and but be represented differently for the public-facing website.Personally, I don't think the public cares much about URLs, as long as the content is displayed and organized appropriately.
You seem to be correct in your particular case. In general howevr that (citing Ghoti :-) depends. Please note that a)There is no "one size fits all" optimal branching strategy. You'll need some guidance and a lot of personal experience to get a feeling for it.
You would also be surprised how much the public cares about pretty URLs. Anyone doing SEO (search engine optimization) will work hard on the URLs. The URL is one key parameter sites like google & yahoo use to rank the sight for a specific keyword.Andy
True... our client does care to some extent. They would like "friendly-urls", for marketing purposes etc.. and providing main entry gateways for the public is easier for them to remember if it's short and sweet... but for Joe Public who hits our site through search pages, probably not as much of a concern...
his Mac probably runs on Intel now. So he can put a real OS there. and run VM Ware