I have had to, in my current gig, run a perl script to freeze, xcopy to another folder, and thaw, since I cannot predict when the backup will run, or have it run freeze.Andy
it is recommand to check the back up copy from time to time... but who has time for that? it is time consuming and there is always a chance that the next back up wont be good... i just hope that we wont ever want to restore contentstore or at least till IWOV come up with solution such as "revert backing store" where you click on a button and the store goes back the last known good status.
You should consider using OD, if available. I have found it to be the BEST tool for creatign a local copy of the backing store for the backup system to grab onto. Especially with a larger store. Then you can use the DNR to freeze and unfreeze.Adam
Chris,I feel that is an excellent idea. Why dont you initiate with IWOV and get this as a FR. A similar functionality as windows XP\ VIsta. System Restore kind off. That would an excellent utility to have but I am just wondering with the sizes of the backing stores how would the same be implemented.. anyhow, it would be an excellent to have feature so IWOV can start their research on the same if not yet.
IWOV wrote themselves a welfare check on the issue long time ago, see whitepaper hereIt's nice to commiserate with our mutual pain just do not expect IWOV to pay attention, never happened before. Why shouldthey, Administrators are usually not the people who pay IWOV
Heh - a 2002 KB article referencing a 2001 document I believe the motivation for the KB article was the removal of the iwbackup CLT oh so many moons ago...
How do other big Web CMS vendors do in the backup department?I'm talking about Documentum, Filenet, Stellent ...
Aren't some of them more db-centric for the repository? If/when that is the case, standard oracle/mysql/ tools are used which are a lot more tried and true. Good question, though.
Cons:o The mirror rsync takes ~15 hours, so we cannot take more than 1 backup/day
I may try that, if you are playing poker at GearUp I may pick your brain for a few. Besides, some of the others would like you distracted.
Unfortunately, this sync time can be pretty significant. Have you experienced any I/O delays as a result? I have experienced I/O delays while backing up one of the stores on the system (of course, that was Windows) and keeping the others running.
An update on the log rotation issue:I opened a ticket with Support asking if there was a way to rotate logs (on Solaris) without stopping TeamSite (iwtrace.log, for example). The answer was no, there's no known current way to do it.However, at Fish's suggestion, I made sure to request that this be a feature request (FR). It turned out that there is an existing FR for this attached to the 6.7.1 SP1 mid-year release and we got added to it.If this is of interest to others (and why wouldn't it be?), it may be worth speaking up to Support and asking to also be on this FR list.Cheers,Wally BoxNike, Inc.