Metadata not inherited from containing folder

MediaBin 4.5.3

We just went through an exercise of defining some custom metadata items on a folder and inserted some assets into the repository. Why don't the assets inherit the folder's metadata by default and let the user make any overrides?

Comments

• I am not sure if there is a feature request open for this. It would be a good one. I have heard this requested quite a few times. The usual suggestion is to do a script and run a nightly job.
  • Inherited metadata and how it works with assets and folders is an open enhancement request. This is topic that WILL be addressed in the next major release of MB.
    Tracy
  • While we are at it, any chance we can get metadata hierarchies to be defined, instead of the current flat structure? I.e. asset category 1, category 2 (dependent on choice for #1), etc.

I can see how the metadata tagging UI could borrow from the TeamSite data capture framework that was rolled out on version 6.7.1, but that is probably not a simple thing to do Smiley Happy
  • We have a module that allows you to define hierarchical metadata from the web client's perspective (ADVANCED FIND). In other words, the metadata organization doesn't change from the server's implementation, but does change presentation of the metadata to the user when interacting with the FIND pane in the web client. For example, you can define a hierarchy for searching Cars by Car/Model/Year using three combo boxes, one for each category. The values populated in the combo for Year depend on the value selected for Model and the values populated for Model depend on the value selected for Car. Our services organization (CSO) has used this module at several customer sites. If you're interested, please contact CSO.
  • does anyone have a sample script they can share to inherit metadata from a containing folder

thx

Brett
  • Hi everyone, I can't understand how to get the metadata present on folders to inherit internal folders and any assets. Could anyone tell me how to do it?
    Thank you
TeamSite Developer Resources

• Docker Automation

• LiveSite Content Services (LSCS) REST API

• Single Page Application (SPA) Modules

• TeamSite Add-ons

If you are interested in gaining full access to the content, you can register for a My Support account here.
OpenText CE Products
TeamSite
APIs