Does anyone have a utility or a DOS command to change the modified by attrib on a WINDOWS file? We'd like to reset that attribute to a user id vs. SYSTEM after a file has been modifed by an external task.Thanks in advance
Are there any utils to do this, be it a DOS command or other utility? This is rather easy to do on a Unix box with the 'chown' command. I'm trying to find a similar utility for a Windows server.Is there a 'touch' command in Windows?
Ideally External tasks which manipulate other files and perform system operations like making files/directories, deleting them and other stuff, must have the Task Owner as SYSTEM for windows and root for UNIX, this will handle the access and permission issues.If the owner of your task is a user then, you might end up in a situation where the user does not have enough permissions or priviledges to perform certain activities. So one need to take care of the permissions etc when ext. task's owner is a User.In your case you can set a user id as the owner of the external task, just keep in mind that the User must have the appropriate permissions for the activities being performed in the external task.-Dixit
whoa. external tasks as root. Never ever I would do this.
But i am sure in Windows it is preferable to run the external task as SYSTEM
TeamSite externaltasks on Windows OS run as SYSTEM regardless of which user has been set as the task owner. And that is almost always a serious problem
I hadn't observed that because according to the notes from my training i found that in Windows external task owner must be kept as System. I have used this concept before too.Now if we come back to the original Post in this thread, If we want the Modified by attribute set as the Task owner, ---- This cannot be achieved? as in WINDOWS regardless of the task owner the external task runs as SYSTEM. Is the conclusion correct?-Dixit
That is correct - unfortunately. See for example here
Thanks for the link. However digging more into this, what may be the issue that prevents Interwoven to take care of this? -Dixit
TeamSite 6.7.x supports external tasks running as the task owner...
Thanks for all the responses.I understand about setting the the Task Owner. That's not an issue. The use case that I am trying to solve is simple and can even be outside the scope of a workflow.Use Case:There is a file with the modified by attrib set to "SYSTEM". I want to change that modified by attrib on that file to "iwov\anew".Are there any utils to do this, be it a DOS command or other utility? This is rather easy to do on a Unix box with the 'chown' command. I'm trying to find a similar utility for a Windows server.Is there a 'touch' command in Windows?
Have you try using Microsoft Services for Unix?It will give you chmod, chown, etc on windows.We use it over here with not problem.http://www.microsoft.com/technet/interopmigration/unix/sfu/default.mspxPS: It has limited capabilities. So make sure you test it properly first.
Regardless of the task owner effective UID of WF External task process in Windows is SYSTEM. To the best of my knowledge 6.7 is no exception. That said, I personally did not test in Windows 6.7.x.Are you talking from personal experience?
Duh. You really should give 6.7 a try.