Thanks - that's sort of useful. But it's not the thread I was hoping for. There was a thread that went through all sorts of combinations of groups, owners, and permissions if I recall correctly. Because we weren't upgrading at the time, I was only half interested. Now I'm much more interested. Hopefully Adam will stop working and look at DevNet soon.
Are you talking about this thread and/or this thread?
No - neither of those. I may be mistaken about the content of the thread. I just recall that when they first came up with the concept of TS Groups, I and perhaps some others, were concerned how the TS groups would interact with the filesystem groups/permissions. There was a big discussion on the members of each type of group and why you need one or the other or both. I have a terrible memoery, so I don't recall much more than that. Our main concern is because we have all of our users using Samba to push files into TeamSite from their own development areas, would we still need to have individual Unix groups for each TS workarea to prevent people from being able to Samba files over to an area of TS we don't want them writing into? We think the answer is "yes". TS groups don't have much weight when you are dealing with the filesystem outside of the TS GUI, correct? You can't use TS Groups to manage the filesystem outside of the TS GUI it appears...
So when you are in a Unix shell and you do an "ls" of a TeamSite workarea, what do you see as the group owner of the files? Is it a TS Group name or a Unix group name?
basically how it works is TS creates a Unix group iwglobal on your Unix\ Solaris box above which it sets up TS groups as defined by you.when you do a ls from the unix shell, the group you will see next to the file\ directory would be iwglobal and not your tsgroup.You would only be able to see your tsgroup on the TS GUi.In your case since you have deployed content from one box to another, make sure you apply the permission rules in your deployment and you can assign the group and permissions accordingly there. I am not very sure if you can deploy with permission rules pointing to a TS Group but you should be able to do that. I did not try yet.
When attempting to use OpenDeploy to move our content from our 6.1 version of TeamSite to 6.7.1, if we specify the group in the permission rules as a TS group, the deployment fails with this error:ERROR: Unknown groupThat sucks royally. If we leave the group empty in the deployment config, it forces a Unix group to be the group-owner of the files. In other words, it doesn't do the right thing. That sort of takes the usefulness of the TS Groups out of the equation for migrating files. I would consider this a bug.:mad:
Are you using targetFilesystem or targetTeamsite? I'm not sure, but its less-likely to work with targetFilesystem -- however in either case, this is OD and not DD and so unless it is working explicitly with the IFS it is unlikely to be able to know about the TS groups (perhaps this is a feature-failure that should be addressed?)From past experience though - you know about using chmod g+s and the submit.cfg file - so if you're deploying to a TS workarea - why not keep the permissions on the files as generic as possible during the deployment and let them get taken care of on the receiving side and/or when you submit the files?
Fish, Smitty,I tried the deployment to TS Area with chmod g+s. that does not work as required. Also, you are right TS Groups will not work with target filesystem.What i basically ended up doing was to set the permission rules group to iwglobal and use chmod g+s on the target workarea. This helped to solve my problem at that time. I think, if you are using Target teamsite, this will work for you as well.