Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
Mulitple files output from one extraction task
carnix
Is there a way to create a custom extraction task that output two files, one a larger display version, and the other a thumbnail version of the same asset? I'm looking for this in connection with the ECM connector as an import to TeamSite 6.7.1, rather than as a task users logged into MediaBin would execute.
Here's what I'm trying to do:
TeamSite users connect to MediaBin via the ECM Connector, select their image, and import using a special task that is ONLY available via the ECM Connector console (er... is that possible? How? Maybe make it only available to the Guest account used in the connector??). That task imports two files into TeamSite, FILENAME_thumb.jpg and FILENAME_full.jpg. The thumb is 150w by Proportional and the Full is 450w by P....
I'm having trouble figuring out how to chain together the extraction tasks (1) and I'm having trouble with the naming convention, it seems like the ECM comes up with it's own names...
Thanks
-mike
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
lyman
There is no direct way to output two files from one task, but what you described should certainly be doable in custom code. Disloyal as it may sound to suggest it :-), it might be simpler given the sizes you are talking about to add custom code that creates the small preview from the larger without MediaBin's help. I will bring the thread to the attention of the experts on the ECM connector.
Cheers,
Lyman Hurd
carnix
(musing now)
Perhaps using an external task in the submit workflow that uses the CLT from IrfanView to do it? That's actually what we had pre-MediaBin (when the "Photo Server" was nothing but a directory structure). I wrote a CGI callout for the DCT that used IrfanView to process the selected image into two...
That is actually the functionality I'm look to duplicate...
But, I think you answered my question at its root: This isn't something that can be, or at least is best, handled by MediaBin. Rather, the way to go is probably a TeamSite solution instead. Right?
Thanks
-mike
cliff1
I recommend using two instances of the iwov_import_mediabin tag in your TeamSite presentation template. Each instance of the tag references the same id (aka GUID), but invokes a different retrieval task (or the same task with different params). Calling into MediaBin twice is not going to cause a noticeable performance impact, especially if one of the calls is for a preview size image.
-Cliff
Migrateduser
I believe (but I haven't checked) that you should be able to do this with Hot Folders.
First, have your task output the large image into a folder.
Second, have a HotFolder defined so that it looks at that folder (and I think it works for folder hierarchies, too), and outputs the "small" version into another folder.
carnix
That's a great idea, except that I have no access to admin the MediaBin server (I manage all other Interwoven products, but the powers that be decided to give our photo library admin rights over MediaBin rather than me, and they use only Interwoven Cnsultants to do any and all modification work for MediaBin -- expensive, but they justify that decision by saying any work they do is fully supported by Interwoven. True I guess, but means I can't touch MB at all).
So... the Hot Folder idea would likely work, but I think the people with the authority to make that happen wouldn't understand, and while I could probably do it in less time than it would take to explain it, the end result would take weeks...
I think, instead, what I'll do is use an external task in the submit workflow that takes the imported file and generates a thumbnail using IrfanView.
Btw if you're not familiar with IrfanView, check it out. It's super-lightweight and has really handy CLTs to manipulate graphic programatically -- if you're on a Windows system anyway. I used it to build what is basically the ECM connector utility in iwPerl before MediaBin was around. It does exactly what I've described above, except our asset library was nothing but a huge hard drive then....
Thanks all for the input, I think I have a course of action now.
-mike
cliff1
Mike,
I'm confused why you wouldn't make multiple calls in the PT to import the various renditions needed? Are you using the "immediate import" feature and not using PTs?
-Cliff
carnix
Well, If you code the PT to prevent the MediaBin import while in Preview mode (if you don't, you'll be running the extractions every time you preview the page), then the files won't be imported and processed until the file is actually generated -- this prevents review processes from taking place until after the file has been created since the images will all appear broken in Preview until the final file is created. (Note: our review processes use the DCTs until all editorial review is complete, then the file is actually generated by the web team who know where it ought to live... historically, our 'business users' never understood why everything shouldn't live right at the root... nice short url and all.... bah....)
Rather, I suppose a way to do this would be rather than manage it in the workflow, I could write code in the PT that takes the singler larger file that is imported from the DCT callout, and creates a thumbnail out of it. That process is very fast and lightweight.
Another idea that popped in my head was to use FormAPI. Unfortunaly, I'm not very familiar with FormAPI, but isn't there a way to run a CGI script when a particular field is populated? That is, I could attach a script that runs a second extraction task into MediaBin based on what was imported first, effectively mimicing the first extraction, just using a different task to pull the lower res version programaticly.... Like I said, though, I haven't really dug into FormAPI, but this seems possible from what I know of it...
-mike
cliff1
I was just reviewing old posts and noticed this reply -- I thought I was subscribed to the thread by don't recall getting an e-mail for your update.
The ECM Connector checks to make sure the file (or retrieval task) in MediaBin has been changed before it imports. The typical solution is to have the PT do the download so the preview can render the images. If you preview 10 times, the files will only be imported once if they have not changed. You can put a call to "iwgen" in your workflow, just prior to the review task if you want to make sure you have the latest and greatest. There is a little overhead to check if the file is up to date, but it is fairly trivial.
-Cliff