Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
Previewing dcrs in Staging
Shell
Has anyone tried previewing a dcr from the Staging environment? We just gave it a go because the business users want to do this and got the following message.
"There are no available presentation templates for the selected category and type."
We are able to open the dcr and see it in the data capture template format but the preview doesn't work.
PS. We don't actually have generated HTML for the users to look at. The preview actually is meant to trigger a data deploy and redirect to a BEA application.
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
Migrateduser
I think that previewing in the Staging Area will not work. Templating generates previews on the fly by writing an HTML (or JSP or ASP or whatever) file to the file system in the Area (typically the Workarea). However, because the Staging Area is read only, even Templating cannot write a file to that part of the file system. It shouldn't work in an Edition either. I know you can ask Templating to write the preview document in another location within the Area if, for example, you have a docroot other than / or you have relative pathing in the presentation template. I don't think you can ask it write in another Area though. Anyone have experience otherwise?
sajiddc
Shell,
When you are submitting files to STAGING area, are you submitting your Presentation directory?
Shell
Yep everything is submitted. I tried it on two different TeamSite implementations and it doesn't work on either.
Shell
I will have a read and see if it is possible to write the file to another area but you say sounds right. Not what I wanted to hear but right! :-)
sajiddc
Shell,
I doubt that you will be able to preview from STAGING. I just tested it in a box. One workaround would be to create a custom menu item and then do the necessary. Hope that helps.
Shell
Thanks for your help anyway. We are looking at the custom menu option as we speak but it was nice to hear someone else thinking the same way.
Cheers!
sajiddc
"like minds think alike." hahahahaaa. j/k. I am glad that I was able to help you.
sara
I understand the technical problem, but from a organizational point of view this should be possible though.
It should not be necessary to create such a workaround for allowing preview to content validators who only need read access in TeamSite.
Migrateduser
I may have a solution for you. Our users wanted to preview the content on our ATG dynamo server (or a web server) during the first part of a workflow. But, you may be able to use the same concept that I used without using the workflow. Perhaps from the drop down, or from the generate button on the form using FormAPI.
When they start the first step of the workflow I generate the file to a local drive on the Teamsite box (mapped drive won't work with Windows, might work with other OS). On my preview web server or application server I map a drive to the local drive on the Teamsite box so that the web or app server can then use the file.
Here is a snippet of my code.
### Generate an XML file using the DCR and Presentation template.
my $PATH="e:\\iw-home\\bin;$ENV{PATH};y:\\;h:\\";
$ENV{PATH} = $PATH;
("y:\\default\\main\\PartnerPageDev\\WORKAREA\\Sales");
my $stuff = $area;
$stuff =~ s|\\|\\\\|g;
$stuff = "y:\\" . $stuff;
chdir($stuff);
my $generatexml = "e:\\iw-home\\bin\\iwgen -t " . $tplpath . " -r " . $dcrpath . " " . $xmlpath;
qx/$generatexml/; # finally execute the iwgen command
$dynamopath = "e:\\partnerpagedev\\repositories\\" . $dynamopath . "\\xml\\" . $dcrname .".xml";
$xmlpath ="y:" . $xmlpath;
copy ($xmlpath,$dynamopath);
Edited by taalgaard on 07/30/03 05:21 AM (server time).
Migrateduser
I haven't tried running commands from the presentation template, but I think that you could place the perl into on and have it execute when they select generate.