Installing appworks..

Options

What are the prerequisites for installing appworks?
Do we need a dedicated database server for the same or is there any embedded database server available for POC purpose?

Comments

• There is a dedicated article about the installation process.

OpenText AppWorks Gateway requires Apache Tomcat 7.0 or higher and JDK 1.7 or higher. If you have a previous version of Apache Tomcat installed, you must uninstall your current version and install Tomcat 7.0 before installing the OpenText AppWorks Gateway.

Database
    It's recommended to run production environment on MySQL, Oracle, or Microsoft SQL Server.
    However you can install AppWooks Gateway on the Embedded Derby database.

• Hi Marcin

Thanks for that reply right on my birthday. ;)
    What I need is sizing: what is the database used for, and what is the expected growth?

I read that it can make use of the JAVA-based Apache Derby database. Do I understand currectly that the database is only used to hold OTAG configuration and application settings and some user information? Because if you recommend to use a dedicated database instance like MySQL (good!), Oracle or MSSQL, then we need to have sizing information to calculate the HDD partitioning, system requirements, backup space, etc..

BR

--
    Danai

• hi Danai,
    Happy Birthday to you :)

AppWorks Database estimates

The suggested numbers from the product team are: db should auto-grow by 256MB, with initial size 512MB. For provisioning allow for 25GB of data.

This may change as we're still testing few components. As soon as it's done, we'll publish an official recommendation.

Reasoning:
    "As to creating the db, of course the db should be set to auto-grow, as the actual size is hard to predict, depending as it will on the usage by installed services. I would hazard a guess at 512MB for a production system, but I know little about db administration.

The Event log is limited to 10 million entries, plus a link to each user each of those entries is for. I can imagine that growing to as much as 10GB, though that's probably generous.

The Audit log is not limited, and will tend to have one entry per user per app version. For 10k users and 500b per audit entry, that's only about 100MB.

So, generously allow 1GB for apps, 1GB for audit, and 10GB for events, then double for safety and we get about 25GB."

• Hi Marcin

Brilliant, thanks for that response!
    At least now we have some guidelines, and can have a proper discussion with the customers' infrastructure team about why the database should either be hosted on a local Derby or on an external database (on the intranet or the DMZ).

BR

--
    Danai