How to use livelink webservice for creating Document instead of LAPI from java

I am doing research for Accessing Livelink Content Server information using Livelink webservices instead of LAPI, from Java code. I wanted to know the procedure or steps to achieve these things. Thanks in advance

Comments

• I do like the web services for accessing Content Server. Around here they'll recommend you use the new REST API but if you insist on using Web Services here's some data: For writing your client - Download the SDK samples from the KC. Create your Java project and include/reference the jars from the samples. For setting up your server the - CS10 distro should include a /webservices folder that has the les-services.war file you can drop into a Tomcat. That's the piece that runs and talks to Content Server. Edit the web.xml file if your content server is on another machine or another port. Generally it defaults to localhost port 2099. Also in there should be the SDK docs which are reasonably detailed and give you a reference for writing your own code.

Cheers,

Jason

Shinydocs

• Hi Jason,

Sorry for the delayed response.Thank you for your valuable information. I got some example related to Web service from KC and started working on it. I am working on CS10 update 7 web service implementation and it has some limitation, it does not have some of the methods. Does REST API support all the features?

Please suggest me which one is best approach, is it Web service or REST API?

Thanks,
    Muthu

• Please reply me.

Thanks, Muthu

• The CS SOAP WS API offers more functionality than the CS REST API today. The REST API is usually used in different scenarios and offers sometimes functionality not available in the SOAP WS. The REST API is not "chasing" the SOAP WS, it rather grows its own direction.

Have a look at another post about the API suitability too.

You need CS 10.0 Update 13 or CS 10.5 to get the REST API. And make sure that you installed the latest patches.

• Hi Ferdinand,

Thank you for your valuable information. As I have CS10 update 7, now I can work with SOAP Web service only.
    I will try to work on REST API after upgrading to CS10.5.

Is it possible to work with REST API with evaluation version of CS10.5?

Thanks, Muthu

• Yes, it is. The REST API has no licensing limitations. It gets deployed with the server core and does not need any extra configuration (like the SOAP WS, e.g.).

• Thank you Ferdinand. I have evaluation version of CS10.5, so I will try installing it to work with REST API.

Thanks,
    Muthu

• Just to let you I have written an example when working with CS REST API using Postman Chrome Extension. It might be a help for anyone to get started.

Content Server REST API with Postman

• move comment to a question..