Issue with First Appworks App

Options

Hi,
I am assuming that even without deploying the client app to a mobile device, I should be able to see it working in a regular web browser. If not, just say so and read no further. When I built the sample code (well, I pretty much copied it from the bundle), I only get the requisit 'There was a problem loading profiles.' message. This may be deliberate because I noticed in the ajax call, that it seems to call the done function then call the fail function on the done function. Is that right? Sorry but it's been a couple of years since I have had to do any jQuery.
One other question: Does Appworks have any value outside of the mobile development world (i.e. intranet web development), or should I stick with Content Web Services within ASP.NET/Tomcat web app for interacting with Content Server from a web application that is primarily accessed from a desktop?
-Hugh Ferguson

Comments

• Mobile apps don't, in general, work outside the container because they won't have access to the auth tokens they need. I don't recall offhand if the sample first app would be that way or not. Also, you may run into cross-domain issues if you deploy to a server other than the AppWorks Gateway server.

My understanding is that AppWorks is to become the single source of APIs for developing against OT back-ends. Besides that mission, the main added value is that all available apis will be surfaced at the same url, so client code can seamlessly integrate across various server-side apis.

• In this case, I have a monolithic system - Content Server, AWG, SQL Server, and the sample client app all on the same server. So I guess the question remains, should just invoking the page for the sample application in a desktop browser on a monolithic system fail?
    -Hugh

• hi Hugh,
    the message appears when the user profiles couldn't be fetched from a corresponding service.
    1. Did you filled in baseUrl param in app.js specifying where the sample service is running?:

// Set up default option values
        Profiles.defaults = {
            baseUrl: 'http://your_host',
            sel: 'body'
        };

2. Is there a sample Profile Service running at baseUrl + /SampleService/v1/profiles?