Am I correct that what I've described above is the behaviour that is ostensibly documented by this very cryptic known issue in the SP1 release notes?
A user modifying a data record from the generated file may not have correctfile locking through the entire process.[/left][/indent]
I expected that I would like the lock not applying until the user edits the file, but that's not precisely what happens. In the case of templating, it turns out the lock isn't applied until the DCR is saved. My expectation would have been that some sort of AJAX-esque server call would happen in the background to apply the lock as soon as the form was modified (and released if cancelled). That, I could live with.However, the bigger annoyance is that if the user edits the form entry by clicking edit on the generated file, the lock is still only applied to the DCR - not the generated file. That's leading to lots of cases where users are clicking edit on a file that appears to be unlocked, only to be presented with a lock warning because of the DCR.I haven't delved deeply into the documentation yet. Is anyone aware of any configuration options to change the behaviour, other than setting it back to the old locking behaviour? That's seeming like the best bet at the moment.
The fact that the lock is not applied to a generated file to be would be a bug, if (and only if) the lock is not applied if/when the user regenerates the file. Just my 2 cents.
* Bug ID 74518 -- In TS 6.7.1 SP1 a file gets locked only when the file''s contents are changed and saved. In earlier versions the file would be locked as soon as it was selected for editing. The fix is to provide a config option to be able to revert locking behavior to pre-TS6.7.1 SP1.Platform(s): Generic
<applications> <!-- File locking behavior: "true" = Lock a file ONLY when a modification is detected. WARNING: For generated pages, this will ONLY lock the DCR when a change occurs. The generated page will remain unlocked until it is regenerated, which can cause confusion. "false" = Lock a file as soon as the user clicks on "Edit". --><default-param id="iw.common.edit.lock_on_modification" value="false"/></applications>
The Lil Birdies tip is a supported configuration change. The fact that the documentation did not explicitly call it out is a documentation issue and I'll send a note to the doc team about it.. This configuration file should have modified only the behavior of files being uploaded and downloaded via Launchpad. I dont believe that we changed the behavior of FormsPub with this configuration change.Funnily enough, we implemented this change because we had a number of teamsite admins complain that they were stuck with trying to unlock files for users who downloaded files for review purposes and never modified them. TeamSite used to lock the files even if that scenario and the reviewers had no privileges to unlock files and so they had to call their admins to do it for them.If you still think that the changed behavior might be useful if we addressed some of your concerns, then let us know and we can file defects against the new behavior and address those in the next release.thanks
This configuration file should have modified only the behavior of files being uploaded and downloaded via Launchpad. I dont believe that we changed the behavior of FormsPub with this configuration change.
default-param id="iw.common.edit.submit_lock_model.lock_on_edit" value="true"