Understanding Floating License Server Usage in conjunction with Knowledge Exchange and ProVision

Options

Hello,

The only way to access the License Server is to remotely login to the server (using Remote Desktop or something like VNC). Once you are in the server, you can open LMTOOLS (default location: C:\pvLicServer\lmtools.exe ).  Within LMTOOLs, you will want to click on the ‘Server Status’ tab and then click ‘Perform Status Enquiry’.  This will yield the machine name of who is using what feature.  For example, in my local Floating License Server:

Users of EPro:  (Total of 1 license issued;  Total of 1 license in use)

"EPro" v6.2, vendor: pvlicmgr

nodelocked license locked to NOTHING (hostid=ANY)

mmichael MMICHAELXP06 MMICHAELXP06 (v4.2) (192.168.80.196/27000 1302), start Mon 1/17 14:29

This means that of the 1 ‘EPro’ features I have in my license, that 1 license is being temporarily borrowed by the ‘MMICHAELXP06’ machine.  If I were to checkout a license, this is how the usage of the EPro feature would appear:

Users of EPro:  (Total of 1 license issued;  Total of 1 license in use)

"EPro" v6.2, vendor: pvlicmgr

nodelocked license locked to NOTHING (hostid=ANY)

mmichael MMICHAELXP06 MMICHAELXP06 (v4.2) (192.168.80.196/27000 103), start Mon 1/17 14:33 (linger: 172740)

If you look at the second line posted you will not there is something designated as ‘linger’.  What this means is that I have actually checked out the License from the available license pool.  This ‘linger’ will remain for as long as my Checkout period designated when borrowing in ProVision unless it is returned early.

Before going further, you will need to understand how the license works.  A license is composed of multiple features.  The primary ProVision feature is listed a “EPRO” or “PPRO”.  EPRO is the enterprise version of the ProVision feature.  The remaining features are fairly self explanatory.  The ones you may have questions are:

JServer – Allows users to interact with Knowledge Exchange.

Extender – Allows users to make customizations using the Customization Control Panel.

Team – Allows users to create a Teamwork Repository.

The remaining features are for extra ProVision Interface options, can you read about the rest of them here: /awd/forums/questions/3401753 .

While the Server Status tab will reveal information about the current status of licensing it will not inform you of any past usage.  For overall usage you will want to go to the ‘Config Services’ tab.  From here you can click ‘View Log…’ to see past license usage (you can also see the log at its default location: C:\pvLicServer\pvlicServer.log). The log will show you a transactional sequence of events.  When a user borrows a license (or checks out a license) it will be designated with OUT.  If a user closes ProVision releasing their license it will be designated with IN.  Here is an example:

14:33:05 (pvlicmgr) OUT: "EPro" mmichael@MMICHAELXP06 

14:33:05 (pvlicmgr) OUT: "Team" mmichael@MMICHAELXP06 

14:33:05 (pvlicmgr) OUT: "APlus" mmichael@MMICHAELXP06 

14:33:06 (pvlicmgr) OUT: "Visio" mmichael@MMICHAELXP06 

14:33:05 (pvlicmgr) IN: "EPro" mmichael@MMICHAELXP06 

14:33:05 (pvlicmgr) IN: "Team" mmichael@MMICHAELXP06 

14:33:05 (pvlicmgr) IN: "Visio" mmichael@MMICHAELXP06 

14:33:05 (pvlicmgr) IN: "ERwin" mmichael@MMICHAELXP06 

Unfortunately this log will not designate when a user chooses to check out a license and will only display the transaction as shown above. Due to this you will likely want to use the System Status tab in conjunction with the pvlicServer.log in the Config Services tab.

I believe Flexera (the makers of the Floating License Server/FlexNet License Manager) does offer some additional reporting utilities for reporting on License Usage.  I would advise contacting Flexera (http://www.flexerasoftware.com/ ) if you are interested in purchasing their reporting software.

Thanks,

Matthew Michael

Tagged:

Comments