Only one model type per subject?

Options

Forgive me if this question has already been answered and I've overlooked it but it seems there can only be one model of any given type for a particular subject.  Is this correct?  Say I have a Payroll application and I build a system interaction model showing the interfaces to other systems.  But then I also need to create a second system interaction model for the Payroll app showing some other details.  It seems that I the only way to do this is to create the second model in another notebook.  Is this what is normally done or am I completely off base?

Tagged:

Comments

• I guess, your problem could be solved by use of dimensions. You can use only one instance of the given model type, as you can make just one valid description of the subject by the model. To have another model type instance - it is similar to having a new perspective from which you'd like to describe the subject. And that is what dimensions are about in Provision.

So to be able to create new SIM you should set up a dimesion type, e.g time, location or simply view and define dimension under created tdimension type, e.g. time - present, future, location - USA, EMEA, Asia, view - System Architecture, Implementation. Afterwards you need to create a projection of Payroll application into dimension you want it to see in. You can change description of projected object, so it won't be the same with original. And you can create individual system interaction model to catch additional desired perspective. Well, it is not a step-by-step tutorial, but I hope it'll help.

• Hello,

One other way to illustrate the additional information would be to model the entire process including the different/additional information.  After doing so, you could setup layers and 'ghost' unwanted objects/links from being in the scenario's process flow.

Using the suggestion from 'Novitech' would likely lead to a 'cleaner' looking model.

Regards,

Matt Michael

• I'm using shared objects and it doesn't seem that I can create dimensions on those.  A local object, yes.  I think I'm back to either using multiple notebooks or layers.  Thanks for taking time to respond.

• Thanks for the response.  I think I'll try that.

• Hi

What you can do is use a topic for the 2nd model, so

• one system interaction model will have the 'payroll system' object as it's subject.
    • another system interaction model will have (for example) 'payroll system alternative view' topic as it's subject..  

I do this sort of thing all the time and have developed a consistent approach to which model uses the object, and which like a project viewpoint uses a topic.  In my case I'd have

• "Payroll system" subject the system object
    • "Payroll system: roadmap" subject the topic (On the roadmap I use layers to represent annual change)

Using the layers within a single model can be quiet effective although the master / 1st view needs to include everything you want in any of the other layers.  However it is incredibly easy to manage different layer views in ProVision - much easier to my mind than the pain I used to experience with Visio.  Each layer can have it's own interpretaion which only includes what s in that layer.

• Avoid the muliple notebooks idea - you don't need it.

Layers is OK BUT just using a topic may be a better option.