Sending Email Without Mail Server

Can you use a gmail account to test if metastorm is sending emails?

I have changed SMTP settings (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Wow6432Node/Metastorm/e0work/Engine/SMTP) in my registry to the gmail SMTP settings.

Are there any other settings I need to change or is this not doable?

Tagged:

Comments

• I don't bother with sending the emails to an outside server these days.  I use an opensource SMTP development server called Smtp4Devthat acts as a proxy on your local machine.  It basically traps any outgoing communications to an SMTP gateway and presents the emails in a window which you can view using a locally installed email client.

Saves any messing about with networking and doesn't have a dependancy on connectivity so works when you're off-line.

• That registry key is all you would need to send, but sending to gmail directly from your BPM server opens up a big mess of SMTP issues. Gmail is known for it's strong spam filters and a big part of spam filtering is related to the domain name supplied by the server in the HELO matching the IP it is coming from and a host of other DNS configurations.

So while you can certainly configure BPM to send directly to gmail, getting gmail to accept it is a bit more difficult.

Jason's answer is good, but you can also change the "Delivery Method" in the same registry key as you mentioned to "Specified Pickup Directory" and have all of your emails from BPM created as text files in C:\SomeDirectoryYouPick.

Note that after making any registry changes for BPM  you'll need to restart the process engine to pick up the changes.